peacock bass help

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
hey guys i got my peacock bass a few weeks ago 2 weeks and 5 days to be exact and i tried breaking him off of live and got him to eat freeze dried krill on like the 2nd day and then the 4th or 5th day i tried getting him on pellets and started only feeding pellets ive broken down a few times and gave him a krill just because of how skinny he looked and in that two weeks he has only eaten one by mistake and hasnt touched them since its been 2 weeks with only a couple of krill i dont like not feeding him but i dont know what to do if i should just feed him krill and frozen bloodworms or keep trying to get him on pellets what should i do is that a okay staple for them? the pellets im feeding are cichlid gold medium size ive tried smaller ones too and nothing he is in a 150 right now also can anyone id him for me someone told me mono hybrid but i would like to get a second opinion thanks guys!!

any questions feel free to ask i can get more pictures as well

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
thanks i have read that but re reading it helped a little i forgot that it said to use krill mine loves krill so is this an okay staple for them tho he also likes bloodworms and meal worms but krill is easiest for me i just want to be reassured that krill is okay for a staple thanks

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
since he likes the frozen bloodworms do this....

get a small cup and thaw out a cube of frozen bw.

Crush up some pellets and put em in with the blood worms and let em soak a few minutes....stir em up first tho.

when you feed try and use a spoon so you only feed a little at a time and you can monitor him to make sure he is gettn the pellets.

Over time you can add more pellets to the mix. Crush em up pretty good at first. Maybe start w/ just one or 2 pellets so he doesnt notice them...but gets the taste for them. then add more to the mix over time. The more he eats the better.

The key to this is feeding a little at a time so they bass dont just pick thru the mix. Its best if they will eat right off the spoon.

Like most fish....the more of that one species.....like cichla..the more competition there will be for food and the more they will follow the leader...eating the most food and gettn fat.

Try and stay away from live all together.

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
since he likes the frozen bloodworms do this....

get a small cup and thaw out a cube of frozen bw.

Crush up some pellets and put em in with the blood worms and let em soak a few minutes....stir em up first tho.

when you feed try and use a spoon so you only feed a little at a time and you can monitor him to make sure he is gettn the pellets.

Over time you can add more pellets to the mix. Crush em up pretty good at first. Maybe start w/ just one or 2 pellets so he doesnt notice them...but gets the taste for them. then add more to the mix over time. The more he eats the better.

The key to this is feeding a little at a time so they bass dont just pick thru the mix. Its best if they will eat right off the spoon.

Like most fish....the more of that one species.....like cichla..the more competition there will be for food and the more they will follow the leader...eating the most food and gettn fat.

Try and stay away from live all together.
Yeah i tried this a few times even when the pellets were powder and barley any there he still spit out the pieces so as long as krill is okay to feed him then I'm fine with feeding him that and does anyone have an id on him? Thanks guys I'm sure eventually he will eat pellets ill try and stave him onto the again once he's a little bigger and yeah I haven't fed live once

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Yeah i tried this a few times even when the pellets were powder and barley any there he still spit out the pieces so as long as krill is okay to feed him then I'm fine with feeding him that and does anyone have an id on him? Thanks guys I'm sure eventually he will eat pellets ill try and stave him onto the again once he's a little bigger and yeah I haven't fed live once

You can't just try it a few times, you gotta keep it up. Its a process and on average has taken my bass around 2 weeks to get them completely on pellets this way. Gotta be strong man.

thechief

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2012
the dirty south
You can't just try it a few times, you gotta keep it up. Its a process and on average has taken my bass around 2 weeks to get them completely on pellets this way. Gotta be strong man.
Okay so should I try when he gets bigger or right now??

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Try hikari food sticks I have the best luck breaking those into smaller pieces and throwing them at the surface one at a time

Sent from my SCH-R720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store