tryin to fix cracked glass on bottom

ass_to_trout

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
antioch, CA
i was walkin around with my gf and i noticed a bowfin aquarium by the dumpsters. we went and checked it out it looks to be about a 40 gallon. the only downside is there are a couple small cracks on the bottom the glass is tempered. so i made my gf carry the tank home with me lol. do you think i can patch it by putting glass plates on top and sealing em? or what if i did a thick coat of linex on the bottom? anyone got ideas or even better yet experience!?!:chillpill:

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
If you silicone 1/2" glass over the entire cracks and dry properly it should hold water no prob, but that doesnt go to say it wont be fragile, just be careful adding medium to lg decorations! I would use a whole tube of silicone press the new glass panel in and leave something very heavy to ensure bonding. They sell precut or specific cut glass sheets in various widths at LHS

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Get another glass piece the same size and thickness of current bottom panel or if you're brave you can try plywood waterproofed w one of the cheaper methods like drylok, but its risky to say the least.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Umm, if it's tempered glass it would shatter not crack. I doubt you have tempered glass.

All you need is a piece of glass big enough to go over the cracked end of the tank on the inside. I have a 135 that I fixed with a 12" piece of glass fit to the width of the inside of the tank. I'm about to fix a 300 with 3 pieces of glass over the existing cracked bottom.

Wash the inside of the tank, at least the area you're resealing with distilled white vinegar and water 50/50 then dry well with paper towels.

Put silicone over the crack, zig zag it on the piece of glass and right next to the edge, so some will ooze out when you press it down. Use a plastic spoon to smooth out a bead around it. (Don't use your finger unless you asked the glass place to ground the edges otherwise you'll slice your finger)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store