plywood aquarium

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I haven't used Aqua Defense, but I have used Permadri which is the US version of the original Canadian Zavlar from liquidrubber.ca. Not all liquid rubber products are indeed fish safe. In example, Blue Max won't guarantee to be fish safe. After using a liquid rubber product, I would steer you toward an epoxy product. Max ACR available on Ebay is the choice of some of the most respected builders on MFK and what I'm going to be using to finish my build.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
is there a real difference between the application of max acr and permadri?
i just did a lil test using plastidip. and in 24h it didnt cause any harm to the swordtail fry i put in it. but would that assume that it is fish safe? or is it over time that it could leach out more chemicals? i been told it is. but have yet to hear back from the manufacturer

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
There is a huge difference in application of Max ACR and Permadri. Max ACR is a two part epoxy which has to be mixed at the correct ratio and time frame to cure properly. Permadri is pretty much like applying paint.

Most of the manufacturers will not guarantee or even say that their products are fish safe. In example, I wanted to use Ame's Research's Blue Max, but they would not commit to it being fish safe. Just because a product is safe for potable water, DOES NOT make it safe for aquatic animals.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
so even though max acr is a more advanced product to use, you would definitely recommend using it over permadri? or any rubber based waterproofing?

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
sorry i hope i didnt take over your post :)

is that just because of the longevity of the product?
im planning on taking apart my build within a year or two when i move.
which is why im considering plastidip as a option. but im doing alot of research on the product and trying to contact as many people as possible about it.
but i do have a mbu puffer who i do not plan on just taking a chance with, in my build. i may just build a small pond like tank and do a test till i move, and see how the product holds up. and if leaches out within that time to cause any problems.
im planning on using the product alot, on cars. which is why im a lil more interested in the product its self. as i will have access of it. as well as the ease of using the product.

but still wanting to understand the real benefits between epoxy over, rubber.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store