Peacock Bass Round Two: still failing

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
I recently tried to keep peacock bass which later devoloped an infection and died. About two weeks ago I saw a school of babies(1.5") for sale and I bought three more. They ate well on blood worms, brine shrimp and on day two started eating pellets. They are being grown out in a 10 gallon at 82 F with hopes to move them to the 55 when they grow just a little bit more. The runt of the litter ate, but never trusted me(skiddish) and ate considerably less than his two brothers. four days ago he simply died, no symptoms of anything except his decreasing body mass. The other two continued to eat well. Today I woke up to find another one died that looked completely healthy last night. I still have one fat baby left that appears healthy. Is water quality to blame and i should continue to do massive water changes? are baby peacocks just really sensitive? Or does anyone have little tips or hints for ideal water quality/raising peacocks, my water is also pretty hard.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Super sensitive fish. I dare say one of the hardest if not THE hardest to grow out I've ever dealt with. I gave up after killing like 4 batches and won't even look at a bass under 6". The 55g is another grow out right? If not you are wasting time since ey will only be ok in there for a bit. High temp like ya got is good and I always added a good amount of salt since they are super prone to ich, and a lot of times only eat feeders for a while

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
YOur temp could be a start. For bass under 12" keep them at 87 degrees, well airated and excellent filtration.

With tiny bass like you have do all the above but when doing water changes do 30% once or twice a week. At really small sizes they are also sensitive to large water changes. Also when adding the water make sure there isnt a huge difference in temp compared to the water in your tank.

Are you getting these bass from a good clean lfs? How long have they been in their tanks before you got them? ARe they wild caught or tank bred?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
YOur temp could be a start. For bass under 12" keep them at 87 degrees, well airated and excellent filtration.

With tiny bass like you have do all the above but when doing water changes do 30% once or twice a week. At really small sizes they are also sensitive to large water changes. Also when adding the water make sure there isnt a huge difference in temp compared to the water in your tank.

Are you getting these bass from a good clean lfs? How long have they been in their tanks before you got them? ARe they wild caught or tank bred?
X2, in addition to raising the temp to 87 add the appropriate amount of aquarium salt as well. This will help against ich.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Im going through the exact same thing,bought 8 last friday at 2.5" and am now down to 4,they will only eat guppys,iv never seen any other fish spit out blood worm

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Try cutting up pieces of shrimp into bite sized pieces and see if they will hit that. Having a good current in the tank also helps the shrimp look like its alive.

snogard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2005
TUCSON, AZ
always good to check water parameters (amonia, nitrate, nitrite), the water smell?
10 gallons are just so SENSITIVE to changes cuz of water volume.
i say start cycling the 55 and move the remainder in there.
keep us updated.

Megabass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2012
Brantford,ontario,canada
Try cutting up pieces of shrimp into bite sized pieces and see if they will hit that. Having a good current in the tank also helps the shrimp look like its alive.
I will do,they will eat guppy's and i have the smallest cricketts i could find,so with any luck things will improve,at the least the store will replace the dead ones,i cant believe how stressfull peacock bass babies can be!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store