Lost my 9in Kellberi, POWER OUTTAGE

Decker504

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2010
New Orleans/Old Metry
Had some sort of power outtage yesterday when I was at work. Lost my 9in immaculate kelberi, but my orino, xingus and 2 monos are fine. Water was perfect ph wise and zero waste. My girlfriend also lost her male Dicrossus maculatus and I lost my orinoco spotted pleco in xingu tank. Had to have been off for a while because ice cream in our freezer was super soft.

I'm thinking on investing in battery back up pumps for my larger show tanks. Are any of you guys using battery back up pumps and are their better brands than others?
Sent from my DROID3 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
sorry to hear bro, thinking in investing in a battery back up as well when i get my 360 set up. Its drilled, so if the power goes while I am out the living room is going to be flooded.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
The battery back up works, but only if your around during the blackout....

oscarfishguy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
USA
That hurts, sorry to hear that. Houdini is right, you will need to be there to turn on the battery backup pump pretty quickly to get the water moving again. You also have to think about how much the temperature changes when the power goes out. Unless you have a generator set to take over in an emergency its tough to get it all perfect.

Decker504

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2010
New Orleans/Old Metry
I checked out some pumps that switch to battery power when power is out. Water is PERFECT, my Geophagus brokopondos in same tank spawned last night. Bass was way bigger than them and he didn't have a mark on him. Anyway I the process of getting a used 300 w/ wet dry system but I need to research wet drys and outtages more. Go Big or Go Home!

Sent from my DROID3 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
yeah i have a backup power that kicks in when the power goes out. It will drive some air sponges for 12 hours or so. I wouldnt waste the watts on heating though it would die so quick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store