Cell Cast Acrylic Help

hoss1550

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
Le Mars, IA
So yesterday I made the 3 hour trip to and from Des Moines to pick up a 60 gallon Cell Cast Acrylic tank. It has a single centered overflow in the back. The acrylic itself has very few scratches but the kicker is, the lady hadn't set it up since she bought it. She said she thought it would need some silicone around one of the corners but was not sure... I test filled it yesterday and found out that about an 8 inch section in the front panel wasn't cemented :eek: . Does anyone have any suggestions on how i should go about fixing this? i had thought about using a lower weld-on in the seam and then just going around all the seams with something higher...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yeah, you basically need to get the weldon in the the seam. You could use a 2x4 to wedge it a hair to be able to get in the seam then kick it out. Of course put a towel on each side to prevent scratching.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Use weld on 4 (let it cure 12 hrs). Put a shim or two under the tank and maybe a little weight on top to seal the seperation (be sure to shim it so there is no space). Then you can go around all the inside seams with weld on 12 or higher. Just have to set the tank on its side and let each side cure for 8+ hours before flipping to the other side. Apply the thick stuff slowly or you will get bubbles. Very easy fix...

hoss1550

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
Le Mars, IA
yeah i was hoping this would be an easy fix, it looks like i can get weld on here in town at the local sears. hopefully i will have this fixed and cycling by this weekend

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store