"L" shaped tankinside corner sealing

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
hi all,

I am doing research for a 275 gallon "L" shaped tank that i plan on building soon. so the tank will be 77 inches long on the long side of the tank, 48 inches on the short side, 26 inches wide on both long and short sides and 30 inches tall. i cant go longer on the long side due to the wall that the tank will be on and i cant go longer on the short side because i dont want a seam on the bottom of the tank.

so my plan is plywood for the bottom and backs and oak for the front and side frames. i will be using 1/2 inch glass and would like to have glass to glass seams on all corners of the tank. i know the outside corners are no big deal since all glass thanks have them. my concern is the inside corner of the "L" how would one seal this corner. my first choice would be to just put silicone between the pieces and leave it at that, or should i add a fillet to it as well just like it was a normal seam?

also there will be a 1/2 inch thick 4 inch wide acrylic brace on either side of the corner along with a 2.5 inch wide euro brace around the entire tank

here is a pic of the corner in question thanks for any help

L shaped corner.JPG

L shaped corner.JPG

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
What about using acrylic instead? I think the welds would be stronger than silicone, but I'm a total noob with no building experience. Cool plans by the way.

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
i would do acrylic but i have one acrylic tank already and i dont like how easily it scratches. also for a tank this tall i would need 3/4 to 1 inch acrylic and that is not cheep stuff. also silicone does not stick to acrylic so the bond between the upper and lower frames would not be as water tight as it would be for the glass

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
well regardless of how to seam it, this tank will never get built. i decided it would be a good idea to see if i can get it into the bedroom before building it. well i took some measurements of the hallway and tried to maneuver the tank through it and it wont fit through the hallway so this tank as it is right now will not get built.

here is a pic of the problem area

huston we have a problem.JPG

huston we have a problem.JPG

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
I love how nerdy we get with this hobby. Building computer graphic models just to see if a tank will fit, awesome.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
United States
well regardless of how to seam it, this tank will never get built. i decided it would be a good idea to see if i can get it into the bedroom before building it. well i took some measurements of the hallway and tried to maneuver the tank through it and it wont fit through the hallway so this tank as it is right now will not get built.

here is a pic of the problem area

View attachment 746620
Why can't you rotate the tank like 45 degrees clockwise to get it into the room?.....

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
you know the thought crossed my mind but it would be a little more in depth than just drywall id have to remove a stud and its just not feasible

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store