Need peacock experts help!

Looloo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
Hi guys,just joined the forum and need your help!im new to fish keeping and just started about 2 weeks back. I recently bought a 10 inch peacock bass.i was so excited as I always wanted to keep one of this beauties.on the first day I tried to give some feeders to see if he would eat it but when i threw the feeders in he didn't really gave them any attention.in the end my alligator gar ate them all! I tried market prawns and it didn't work as well ! The person whom I bought the peacock bass from said he fed it frogs and feeders.i tried both and even market prawns.but it didn't work either.Until the third day I tried to give him even smaller feeders I gave him mollies.when I threw them in there wasn't a reaction again.but after awhile he started to eat a few of them.

From what I have noticed its pelvic fin which was a red when I first bought it was starting to fade away and the eye had a tinge of red but now it's white!

Another question, both my alligator gar and peacock seem to be very shy and are afraid when I come to the tank and the gar only eats when I am a distance away from the tank same goes for the peacock just that it only eats a few feeders. I am really worried as my peacockbass has shrink a little in these 4 days and I don't want to lose him:(

Checked ph levels water conditions are all right.

Can you experienced keepers help me out please ! Thanks a lot! I really apprciate it!I really love my fish and want to to know How I can better look after my fish and how I can get it to even eat!really puzzled as it is swimming around perfectly and is very active!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
How big is the tank? What is the water temp at? HOw often do you do water changes? How big is the aligator gar?

It can take some time for bass to settle in to their enviorment. Especially when housed w/ fish larger than them.

mrdee

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
WI
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am no expert but I can try my best to help you with what I have learned in the past with cichlas. First of all, when did you actually put the fish in your new aquarium? Did you acclimate before introducing? Some species like the cichla, are sometimes shy and when introduced to a new environment, they will not eat until they feel comfortable and suited to their new surroundings. Most cichlas will take live verses pellets that takes time with training. If its been only a few days or a week or two, get him/her sometime to adjust and feed light, only what the cichla will consume in minutes. Don't powerfeed or overfeed until the bass gets well suited and comfortable with its new home.

As far as the cloudy eye, it can be a number of things like, physical damage to the eye, a parasite, or just bad water quality. Cloudy eyes and color change can indicate that your fish is stressed out and water parameters are not in safe readings. If you have already checked your water readings and your pH, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and chlorine are ok then at least you know that your water is good. You can do a partial water change, add aquarium salt, and turn your temperature up a little warmer to 86F to see if this helps.

Some fish are more shy than others and it will take some time for them to get used to seeing you upfront and feeding them. While some fish will not feel safe and will want to hide most of the time, its ok, give them some hiding spots and let their natural instincts play.

Again, I am no expert, and only know from experience. I hope this helps you and always do your research on your behalf, so you have a more sound decision.

Looloo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Singapore
-The tank is 4 feet
-Gar is about an inch or 2 bigger than bass
-I change about 20-30 percent of the water every 4 days
-fish doesn't have cloudy eyes, as In used to have red eyes now itd just white it's clear and can e the pupil so it's not the cloudy eye problem
-I introduced the fish to the tank bout 4 days back and I had let the bag of water with the fish inside rest in my tank for 10 mins before releasing it.
-what do you mean by feed light?
Thanks for sharing and giving me tips to expand my knowledge about fish keeping.really appreciated it!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
how wide is your tank? a 4ft tank sounds like a 55g to me. And that is too small for a 10in bass. any other tankmates besides the gar and bass?

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
I have had bass that took close to 2-3 weeks to eat anything I dropped in my tank. I kindof have the tough love theory in my aquarium. Either they get hungry and learn to eat what im feeding or they don't eat. But my guess is the bio in the tank isn't establishes yet causing the fish to be stressed. Get some stress zyme it has good bacteria in it. Also if the tank isn't already too small it will be soon, this will also stress the fish out. Your bass will hit over 20 inches and if you have a true alligator gar it will hit over 7feet easily.
how long has the tank been set up and running? If it's a new tank I would suggest holding off on water changes only suck enough water to pick up excess food you want the bio load in the aquarium to build up. Some people may dis agree but these theories have worked great for me over the last few years good luck and welcome to the sight btw

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I just got one a while ago, didnt take too long to settle in, over night then morning he was fine, trying to get him to eat pellets now, he really didnt eat much for 3 days then I gave him some baby fish i have around, you all would think what a waist the fish I fed but if they breed like rabbits oh well. I will start starvation again and keep trying. What temp do you have the water at? Was it a big change from what is was before?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store