Cichla problem

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have 3 small tems growing in a 20 long right now. They are close to 2 inches. They came from a local pet store. They are not eating pellets. They were eating mysis shrimp. And thats what i have been feeding them for 2 weeks. I crush pellets into the mysis mix, and drop pellets in when they are eating the shrimp. So far no takers. i read the sticky about getting cichla off live food. Its very helpful. Im not against starving them to get them onto pellets but thats where my other problem pops up. I have 2 4 to 5 inch ocellaris in a diff 110 gallon grow out. I want the 3 tems in there asap. If i starve the tems i will be setting them back alot bc the ocellaris are really growing fast. WHat should i do? I know the pellets will make the lil tems grow fastest but how long will it take to starve them? IS there a more suitable food to fatten them up untill they go thru the big starve. I figure being in with the pellet eaters will make it easier. I already do 50 percent wcs every other day on the the 20 long. I have the temp higher and feed them untill there bellies are full. I guess to sum up my rambling post, Whats the quickest way to get the tems up to a size that my other 2 wont eat them?

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
Keep feeding the tems the frozen. They will grow a lot faster than the ocells no matter what. Once they get to 4-5 inches, they will be better suited to be starved. Starving that small of cichla is a very hard thing for them to survive through. If anything, crush some floating aro sticks when you put the frozen food in. I would not go away from having the frozen food in there at least once a day. You will actually end up stunting them or possibly killing them at that size if they are starved for too long.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
yeah thats wha\t i figured. Is there a more nutritous frozen food for them? I crush up the pellets and mix it with the shrimp everytime i feed

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Just keep with the frozen/pellet mixture... Then gradually reduce the frozen part of the mixture.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Power feed frozen blood worms to build up their belly and appetite. After a few weeks they will go crazy everytime you walk up to the tank and that when you start introducing pellets.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
they eat untill they are round and fat every time. I will try some frozen blood worms. Is there any frozen foods i should stay away from?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
they eat untill they are round and fat every time. I will try some frozen blood worms. Is there any frozen foods i should stay away from?
Fried chicken and pizza. I've always used frozen bloodworms :)

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Trust me, Tem's will grow faster than a speeding bullet.......Shoot out some pic's of those future Monsters.

ingrda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
London, UK
You may want to try market prawn, I've found it adds bulk to non-pellet trained cichla much better than bloodworms.
The downside is you can't crush pellets into it, however you can stuff the shrimp with pellets. Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store