ply tank idea.

redbellyPirahna4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
in front of my cichla tank,IL
so i was bored and made some plans on google sketch up for a 720gallon ply tank.
i would love to build it possibly in the summer or next winter.

i do have a few questions how thick of a glass would i have to get.
also what supplies would i need to seal the tank properly.

the fish that will go in it are the current fish that are in my 210.

so here is the a picture. the inside dimensions of the tank are 8ft x 4ft x 3ft
720gallon.jpg

720gallon.jpg

redbellyPirahna4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
so after doing a little research i think i will need 0.75-1inch thick glass what do you guys think?
but i am unsure on what method to go with to seal the tank inside. any suggestions will be great.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
hey redbelly.. your dimensions are missing the height of the viewing window. The height of your viewing window will dictate the thickness of the glass.

Bighurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
North Dakota
I'd rethink your curved decorative members atop the tank. IMO they should either all go the same direction or be divided into 3 or 5 portions vs 4, so it's symmetrical.

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
For sealing up the wood I recomend epoxy vs any of the liquid rubber's that are out there. First reason you can tint your expoxy to a range of better colors, the other choices only come in one color. Second reason there is no problem sealing your tanks glass in with silicone. There will be many pros and cons to use either, it really comes down to what you are looking for as a end result of your tank.

redbellyPirahna4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
havent been on here too much do to school. as for the viewing window its going to be around 8ftx3ft
as for the curved design on the canopy part it wont be in my final design i was just messing around with it to see how it would look.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
wow my mistake on the dimensions.. I missed that completely!! I only saw the dimensions of the outside of the tank. 3/4" will work but if I were building this I'd go 5/8" too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store