Sealant questions

Jdj211

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
So I'm planning a plywood build. My plan is to have 8x5x2.5. What is the best sealant to use in your experience? I'm thinking about using zavlar. Will I be able to put a layer of sweetwater on top of the zavlar? That is my plan for the bottom and 3 sides. As for the framed viewing glass side I was thinking about having fiberglass along all the corners and then putting a layer of sweetwater on top of that so that I can use silicone to seal the glass. Will sweetwater on top of fiberglass be enough to water proof that side?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Dont think anything will stick to the zavlar

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
If you have not done so already, start reading through some of the builds that have worked and then decide on a process that is within your skill set. All of the questions you have asked are answered with in the pages of these builds. On my build, which was 315G I used Zavlars Liquid Rubber, Pond Coat, Rubber Coat...whatever you want to call it and had a great experience working with it. I had some issues getting my viewing window to seal but those were easily overcome and I ended up with a very nice tank. I can't stress enough the need to plan, plan and plan again. Figure out everything from sealant to filtration to where you are going to place your heater. The more you know the fewer problems you will have at build time. Silicone does stick to fiberglass resin but normal silicones will not stick to liquid rubber...but there is an easy work a round. My build is ni my signature if you are interested. Oh....good luck! Building is a blast!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store