Rubber Maid Tank

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Hey guys. My 150 gallon rubber maid tank sprung a slow leak. Anyone ever tried to plug one of these? Thanks.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Is it leaking from the drain hole or is there a hole in the stock tank itself? Either way, you will have to empty it first. If it is leaking from the drain hole, you can add teflon tape to the threads on the drain plug and rescrew it. Easy fix. If the stock tank itself has a hole in it, you will have to locate the hole. Let it dry and then caulk it with silicone.

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
No its a crack along the crease where the side and the bottom meet. :(

bubbles123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Ab, Canada
Crease where bottom and side meet? Got a picture of the crack or the tank? I have a 100 gallon stock tank from rubbermaid and it looks like its all one piece, other than the bulkhead.

Do you use it as a pond or sump tank? How about using a rubber liner? What happened to it that it started leaking?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
A rubber liner is about the only thing you can do that I would trust, but for the cost/hassle it might just be easier to replace the tub. If it's started to fail at the seams it may only be a matter of time before the other seams start to give - in that case even a liner will not hold for long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store