Sturgeon

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
did i spell that right what ever well what i dint mention is i also got a sturgeon at the whole seller i was just wondering whats the growth rate on sterlets and other common sturgeon in the hobby

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
They need a cold water tank. Best kept in an outdoor koipond. You could say grow one up in large tank over the summer while its hot out and they are small (their most sensative size) and then in the fall introduce them into a koi pond!

That is what Im planning/hoping to do next year at least!

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
ya i have a small one out side now and hes doing awesome

jonahonah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
CANADA
does your pond have 90 degree corners as ive found in the past sturgeon get stuck in corners and drown

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yea they do seem to do better with rounded edges. i'd keep young ones in a tank over winter and introduce them to a pond in the summer. awesome little fish. they arent particularly fast growers, but not to slow either. its why adults cost a lot more than the younguns

meepster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
wait... are we talking about european sterlets that get 5 feet long or north american sturgeons that get 20 feet?

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
european i hope lol. no hes in a completly rounded pool

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
how much did you get them for? I got my california steurgeons for 29dollars.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
All sturgeon require cool waters though some tolerate up to 78 F, the smallest are only 2' long but if you have one of those (they are both from the Amur river) you are looking at several years in prison,. Sterlets average 3' as adults , 1000 g ponds 2' deep at 65 F- 70F max is recomended. American sturgeon vary alot and most are protected, the common Pacific, or White Sturgeon is currently limited to 2 a year between 42-60 inches, over and under cost you big time bucks if you are caught, but if you register a legal caught fish theylet you keep it if it out grows the limit. (they can rewach more than 16') Registration is free as long as youy have a fishing liscence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store