Cheapest diy mega tank/indoor pond?

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I Recently purchased an rtcxtsn after holding back for 3 years. I've done my research and am well aware of the mega tank in my near future(I had originally planned on a gorgeous 10'x30"x24" all- glass built into the wall between 2 rooms in my house. Now finding out my wife and I have our first child on the way(due mid-september), I'm now looking for the absolute cheapest way to completely comfortably keep this fish. Tank will now be in an un-heated basement(i think) With the proper tank/pond and heaters is this possible for an extended period of time. One added thing, i have a decent supply of lumber, but no plywood...I was thinking some kind of wooden frame or something with a pond or pool liner. Im not going for looks but if there is some way I could make a cheap viewing window that would be an awesome bonus! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
So this might be completely outlandish or absolutely brilliant but has anyone put any thought into converting an old hot tub into an indoor pond?

jwm5

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2011
Virginia
hot tubs dont hold that much water if you are comparing it to a 10' by 30" by 24" tank... but literally anything that is water tight can be used as a pond. You would just want to make sure it was filled and flushed thoroughly to get out any chlorine or other chemical residue that may have gone through the plumbing lines.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It is very doable to have a viewing window on a lined tank. A friend of mine uses pond liners in his tanks, then attaches gaskets made of hard rubber to the liner with rubber cement, then secures the glass to the hard rubber with Dow 795.
[video=youtube;eRksEMXmBuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRksEMXmBuw[/video]

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Guess I'm now pooling for cool ideas for possible scrapped, salvaged, or free items found that could be converted somehow to keep a monster fish! Lol...muah haha

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Okay...I'll get it started then. I'm from the country so how about the bed of an old pick-up truck with a pond liner!?

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
I'd put some old carpet foam in there cuz it could have sharp edges but if those are taken care of don't see why it wouldn't work.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Quick question to all? I have pondering the thought of either setting up tanks or building a pond in my un-heated, un-finished, SMALL, cement block basement. I live in Buffalo, NY mind you, so the winters are pretty rough. I setup a 45g down there earlier this afternoon as a test run for temp. It was about 45 degrees Fahrenheit. I filled the tank with water about that temp. About 5hrs later with a single heater I had reached 60 degrees and rising. So I'm thinking the heat issue won't be a problem. Now, tanks, pond, or both??? Would it be possible to use the existing cement walls, then make two additional 3ft high brick walls to create a cement pond??? Seal everything, add heaters and filtration and good to go??

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Well I think I've solved my dilemma...I have a friend that is a welder/fabricator and can build me a a steel tank/pond for scrap price! Which would be better/safer for my fish stainless or galvanized? I've heard people use galvanized steel stock tanks to keep fish and I've heard its okay...but stainless steel seems even better right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store