Miami FL Peacock Bass Fishing Pics!

chuckrum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
toronto, Ontario, Canada.
P1020280.JPG

Took a trip to florida to see some wildlife after christmas..

We caught another big bass, but his mouth was deformed (looked like his bottom jaw was once broken in half) so we didnt put him in a pic unfortunately. Lucky for me and my dad,we had a fishing guide who showed us his "Secret Spots" along the miami canals to make up for being over an hour late for the trip :D

anyways aside from the picture, i caught one bass about 7" that i didnt get a chance to take a picture of as I didn't know that our guide only wanted the "big" ones put in the live well and before i knew it he tossed him back in. This fish was lime green with gold speckles everywhere and reminded me of a kelberi. After some research, i found out that the fish looked identical to Cichla cf "Brokopondo" as seen in this pic i found on the internet: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6070/6103407095_7445a7bca2.jpg Now of course it would be foolish to confirm for certain that this fish was infact a brokopondo, but i am positive that it looked identical to one. I only wish i could have snapped a pic to show you guys. I'm sure the possibilities are endless as to why i was able to catch a bass like that; but it would be interesting to hear some opinions :)

We were just using shiners as bait.

P1020280.JPG

chuckrum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
we started on a very small lake, and the only luck we had was underneath a wooden dock. Most of the fishing was on the small man made canals around miami in between the roads and even between people's houses. We fished along the banks of these small canals/rivers thats where all the bass were, im no pro fisherman but im assuming because thats where the water is warmest. Actually two of the fish in the pic were a male-female pair (the male with the hump on his head) that we simply spotted with our eyes from the boat and casted out two shiners infront of them. I never expected to catch peacocks in between people's back yards lol.

cpr_mike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Columbus
They are not Brokopondos. Brokopondo is just a location. They are however Florida Ocells which are similar to the Brokopondo Ocell. Nice fish. I have always wanted to do that trip.

chuckrum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
i know that the ones in the pictures arent, but the small 7" one i caught did look exactly like a brokopond ocell. Maybe in the earlier stages the florida ones look more like the brokopondos. And I would highly recommend it, ive been fishing for Largemouth bass all my life, and these peacocks (Although i know are not bass) put up AT LEAST three times the fight of a largemouth the same size. They are also clever, there was one monster bass in which i had to cut the line because after reeling it in for a good 5 minutes (very light drag of course), it wrapped itself around a stump under water. I have never seen a fish do that before.

Boogiemn1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
LAWRENCE, MA
Miami ocells or florida ocells look almost identical to a brokopondo ocell. I'm flying down in three weeks for the wmc and spring break . In definitely fitting in some fishing while I'm there

LandoJames

Feeder Fish
Feb 16, 2012
Wisconsin
Hey nice catch; Im from Dade County(Miami 305) I grew up catching these amazing, and beutiful predatory fish in canals all over South Miami. Im currently in Wisconsin, and can't wait to go back home in May and hit my favorite spots. Best time to catch em is in spring when you sight fish for them. They will hit anything that falls in their nests.(Especially the males). Also, it is remarkable to see them swin with their fry when they leave the nest, one parent in the front, one in the back. Truly amazing fish. Too bad all the big ones died from the freeze a couple yrs ago, There were hundreds of them floating dead all over South Fl. Its going to take yrs before the population bounces back to what it used to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store