Is it too early?

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Because of the awesome pics you guys post on this site I have developed a bad case of cichlaholism.
I now have 9 orino's and 3ocell's that are in the 5'' range growing out in a 100gal and 1kel that is about 6'' in a 29gal quaranteen tank.
I feel that my 100gal is getting a little cramped and I am wondering if it is too early to stick them in my 560gal without having trouble with them finding food.

If I do so the stock will be all of the cichla along with 9 silver dollars, 5 angels, one ripsaw and a couple of brislenose pleco's.
I will be thinning out my stock as they grow(I have a buyer).
This will also not take place untill the kel is finished being QTed and I get rid of two aro's in the 560 that I bought at the same time as the orino's but am afraid will take out the cichla.

So do you guys think its too early or should I go ahead and rearange my stock?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I would do as you plan. I would keep the kel in qt. Sell the aro's as you stated and in a month once the kel is eating transfer em into the 560. With a large pack of cichla like that they wont have a problem finding food. Just make sure when you feed you always feed em in the same spot in the tank. ANd try and stick to a schedule at first so they get used to it.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
This is the only pic I have on my phone. It shows the 560 and the 100 where the cichla are currently.

Acclimating them for the 560 will be easy, all I will have to do is drain the 100 most of the way and slowly fill it with water from the 560 with an air line tube.

Sorry, I am not good at taking pics

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1330280961.704812.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1330280989.765894.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1330281013.696129.jpg

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I am currently acclimating my orino's and ocells for the 560 and the kel for the 100.

I have still not got the kel to eat so I picked up 50 rosy's to tryand get him to eat. Man I hate feeding live!!

Am i the only person that gets nervous when it comes to switching fish to different tanks?

My plan is to leave a couple of cichla in the 100gal to try and get the kel to see them eat various foods so he may follow them and start eating pellets. He was sold to me as a fish that ate pellets:irked:

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Hate feeding live as well. I still get nervous when netting/transferring large aros, peacock bass are ok. They should be fine in the 560 if they are feeding readily in the 100 gal already.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Hate feeding live as well. I still get nervous when netting/transferring large aros, peacock bass are ok. They should be fine in the 560 if they are feeding readily in the 100 gal already.
What is making me even more nervous is that I sold off two aro's today and one of them jumped out and landed in my overflow and then jumped from there onto the floor which is a 6ft drop.
He lost some scales and I felt bad about it and gave that one away instead of selling him.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
awsome setup if my garage was attached i would build a bigger tank mine is too small an detached its so cold... wish i would of built bigger tank in basement i built wall around my 200 so im kinda beat... but looks great man!
Thanks bro!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store