My 400 Gallon Steel Framed Plywood Tank Build Pentagon Shaped

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
So this is my First attempt at building a tank.

saw where alot of flaws were with wood and wanted to come up with a design strong enough for the largest of monster tank builds. Made out of my steel. so the size and way this tank is framed and build is complete over kill. but easily built.

the rough dimensions are 5'x2'x4'x2'x5' the two 5' are a 90deg. against the back wall. the 2'x4'x2' will be glass front. height will be 30"

everything on this build is over kill, but i want to see what i can do, and want to show what can be done. why the odd shape, and spray foam for insulation values. as all plumbing can be run through the wall and not around the outside, but still insulated. which would also add strength. and save space. as well as steel is so much lighter than wood.

rough cost in steel would be less than $100
plywood will be around $75 including finishing
spray foam $25
waterproofing $20-$40

Glass $UNKNOWN might be installed professionally as im not sure if i will trust my self joining glass on a 45.

entire tank custom built of glass was going to be $5500

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
What are you water proofing with? Will there be steel frames where the 45 degree angles are?

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
just going to make some cuts and upload the pics wire for computers in my car.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
matters what the glass guy says. if i need then i will use my steel and put it together all my self... but if he can make the glass and join it all for me. ill have him install it. knowing it will be ok. im planning on running a steel join around the top of the tank. like my current tank has a 2" black plastic strip around. figured i could do the same with steel and make it structural. and just paint it flat black.

im planning on using a special plastidip compound for this. ordering it direct, as i am also ordering it to paint my vehicle and friends cars.
otherwise my aunt is in the waterproofing business and can get me roll on waterproofing for free. well everything is free on my build other than the glass and plastidip. which i feel would be the best to use. but not the home depot product, i just don't trust things that spray out of spray cans. i find them very inconsistent. but that's just personal. iv use spray cans for many things and just never find consistency the same so wouldn't be good on a large job like this. painting tubes and such go for it, its a great product.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
here we go!

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
IMAG0284.jpgIMAG0286.jpgIMAG0288.jpgIMAG0296.jpgabout 45 mins of work through out the day.
just need to put in 6 more pieces under the header in the front, to frame out for the door.
and ready for plywood.

spray foaming may not take place now. i thought i had a 1/2" plywood in garage but didn't. so couldn't cover the back part of tank.
been doing so much stuff around the house, running out would of taken too much time. but there is still a way i could do it, without using plywood down the back. so ill see. i got time before the glass is coming so the inside plywood doesn't have to get done right away.

im just scared to find out how much it is to do the glass. :S

this is such complete over kill. but hope this design can be used for many other people wanting to build monster tanks. hopefully we will see how everything else goes.

im absolutely positive i wont be needing fiberglass in corners.
just a waterproofed plywood with caulked corners will do.
there wont be any movement anywhere. as once steel is screwed its like its welded. it wont even move a 100th of a inch.
unlike wood. which is just not a good building material.

as well as this tank could be completely UN-assembled and rebuilt and be just as strong as the first time it was built with less work as now you can easily reuse all your old holes as long as you didnt strip them :). other than the plywood would probably have to be replaced. but if using the plastic dip. it can be cleaned off and re sprayed. i will be finding that out in the next year or so as i will be moving.

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
thanks its going to be completely finished in either oak or just a plane finish.

aslo thinking of building a bulk head around the top to hide the lights and such. just iffy since it cover more than half the sliding door to get out into the back yard. to drop a bulk head from there would look stupid. so see what happens.

building your first tank is really nerve racking though. ill say that just gets scarier thinking about it everyday. especially the glass! thats all i think about

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
more than welcome to comment or to give out tips on maybe what you see i might do wrong.

:) or if any questions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store