Mono

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Just got a 6''+ Tall mono for $10. :D
So whats the proper care for these guys? Ive been getting alot of conflicting info from full FW to fullSW:irked:

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
They are brackish water and require more marine conditions as adults, scientific name is Monodactylus argenteus. They are usually sold as freshwater fish as juveniles only because they can tolerate freshwater while young and never last in freshwater.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Vitaliy;592636; said:
They are brackish water and require more marine conditions as adults, scientific name is Monodactylus argenteus. They are usually sold as freshwater fish as juveniles only because they can tolerate freshwater while young and never last in freshwater.
Aww.....So how much salt per gallon should I put? Can crayfish take brakish?

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Jeox;592641; said:
Aww.....So how much salt per gallon should I put? Can crayfish take brakish?
I am not 100% and would suggest waiting for someone else with more experience with these guys but I have heard of 1.005 to 1.015 salinity.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Just found this on Aquaria Central:
"The young fishes are adaptable to freshwater, but with age they need to be kept in more and more salty water to do well. Eventually adults (over 10 cms in length) need water of salinity close to seawater (specific density 1.010 upwards). Adults are much more shoaling fishes, and restlessly swim up and down the tank. This can be disconcerting to some, more placid, fishes. Both species benefit from hard, well buffered water and the use of a protein skimmer and UV sterilisation helps to keep the adults healthy. Fluctuations in salinity are also useful, but care should be taken during water changes not to stress the fish."

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Vitaliy;592636; said:
scientific name is Monodactylus argenteus. .
Or the other :) Monodactylus Sebae :)

Dependin on which you have ... The Mon Argeneus Has Yellow generally along its finage and the Sebae are usually brown and or black in finage or a stripe :)

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
It's the sebae.^^ With the Brakish Do I use crused coral or gravel/sand?
Sorry..This is m first time away from FW..So what equiptment would you say I need?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store