Screws

Jdj211

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
I've planned everything else out so might as well plan this too. I'm going to be using 3/4" plywood and 2x4s. What size screw is best(length and diameter? Anybody tht has done this b4, can you take a pic of one maybe? Is it necessary to countersink them? I've never done that before and don't know how. Is it ok to just drill a hole slightly smaller than the screw and screw it in?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I used 2" deck screws without countersinking, glued the wood together using PL Premium construction adhesive. Screws were placed every 2" or so.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
2.5" - 3" deck screws is what I used and would suggest. (if you're just screwing the plywood to the 2x4 then 2" is sufficient) There's no need to predrill. You don't really need to countersink, but screw them in just below the wood surface so you can come back with something like Bondo or Liquid Nails Heavy Duty construction adhesive to fill over them. You don't want them showing through your coating.

Grant427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Oh I didn't realize that you were framing the tank! It won't matter for screwing the plywood to the 2x4 as long as you get into the 2x4 at least 1/2" (all the water pressure will be pushing the wood to the 2x4's so you probably don't need to overdue it! How big of a tank is this? I would assume it's quite large if your framing!

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
I used 2.5" deck screws and countersunk every one of them. You'll just need a countersinking bit if you choose to do so.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I would avoid drywall screws. Whater ever screws you decide to use should probably be coated or stainless to deal with moisture.

Desdinova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2010
Kentucky
With the plywood lining the inside of the tank, is there a difference between driving the screws first into the 2x4 and then the plywood and the reverse? I would expect to drive them in from the outside of the tank, so that there would be no holes on the inside. Or is this wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store