Hopefully my kel makes it

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I bought a kel Saturday that is 6'' and he is being held in a 29gal QT tank and he still has not eaten which is no surprise but when I went to try and feed him a little while ago I caught him off guard and he rammed his head against the top of the tank.
I see no visible damage but he is now swimming erratically backwards and upside down sometimes.
He was formerly housed in a 450gal which would explain him being skittish in a 29gal but I have to QT him.
What should I do?

I also usually QT any new arrivals for 6 weeks just to make sure but I am thinking of cutting my QT time down on this one since he is used to having a lot of room and I don't want anymore injuries. How long do you guys usually QT new arrivals?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Was it a wild caught? I assume it was from someone because it was in a 450g. Why the need to QT? 29g is very stressful for a bass that size. I keep my growouts in a 55g with driftwood for them to hide.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Not sure if it was wild caught or not but I did buy it from a pet store which is why I am QTing him. If I knew that the guy that had him before me took good care of his fish and it did not go through a pet store I would not have QTed him.
I usually QT all my fish before going into my 100gal growout and then once they get some size they go into the 560gal.
Would you suggest I throw him in with my other cichla and hope for the best?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I think you're doing the right thing if you don't know the seller. Perhaps a bigger QTank would be better.
I only buy from Rare Fish because he treats his fish before selling and I never add new fish to other collections so I don't have to go through what you're going through.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I wish I could have had a bigger qt tank but that was all that would fit inside my stand for the 560 and my wife made me get rid of 4 55gal tanks along with a bunch of smaller tanks in return for getting the 560.
This is actually the biggest fish that I have ever bought but I could not turn down a kel which is never seen around here.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nicklks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2011
Singapore
Understand your dilemma. You are doing the right thing, just give it sometime. With good water parameters, it will make it. They are hardy fishes. 6 week is a bit long for me thou.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
He seems to be doing better this morning, for the first time he swam up to the glass when he saw me.
He still did not eat yet but seeing that he is getting more comfortable is a start.
I really do not want to resort to live food on a fish that is allegedly pellet trained. There is no such thing as decent feeders in my area unless I want to travel 45 miles.

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
Keep doing what your doing....have u tried feeding w/ the lights off?
Yeah but with a ripsaw cat that I bought at the same time in the Qtank with him I can not tell who is getting the food with the lights off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store