:O

possible?

Picture 001.jpg

gilamonsterz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Louisiana
haha creative. I've considered turning an old server case into a tank for laughs, but I'm too poor to overbuild it properly to keep me not paranoid about leaks/blowouts. Keep us posted!

with my server idea, I'd probably build an acrylic or glass tank inside it, putting pumps/canisters hidden inside as well. If I tried this, I'd probably do something similar, build a box inside the box. What's that spray can, some sort of epoxy?

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
plastidip a waterproofing product

Window is in!

Picture 002.jpg

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
this is actually a plastidip test. figure if i can make cardboard waterproof it will work in a larger application.

so i sealed it up, and was leaking, then got some silicone , to seal, as plastidip is a lot thinner than i thought it was. so wouldn't cover joints on its own.
added water to it again yesterday. left it for 4 hours and had 2"x"2 puddle under it. so there still is a very small leak somewhere in one of the joints, i didn't have a silicone gun and got quiet messy with it. im going to fill it today, add fish and see, if fish safe. but from what i told, it is. while doing that going to do water change in sword tail breeding tank.
and then im going to take apart the beer tank. and see if the cardboard actually became waterproof. or if the plastidip was what was actually leaking.

from what i can tell it is the silicone. that's just leaking. not the plastidip its self. i don't see that the water penetrating through and into the cardboard.

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
so it worked and failed.
i never really siliconed properly and in the center inside of box the cardboard has open edges. so had a little leak there.
tank was filled, and sealed everywhere else.

the plastidip did work. water never penetrated through, and even where the leak was, the cardboard still held even though half of it soaked up the water. the plastidip held the entire box together.

and no fish were harmed in the testing of this. all survived and were still very active in the the temporary new home.

i do kinda like how it looked and may try it again as i wouldn't mind having a extra lil tank for medicating fish.

So with my test Plastidip worked and was safe for the fish and fry.

i still don't recommend buying the cans, the one can i had took hours to dry, while the other within minutes it dried.
i always find inconsistency with using spray cans.

42306.jpg

gilamonsterz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Louisiana
That's actually a really nice experiment, I'll have to remember to grab some sometime. I guess another question is whether it leeches anything harmful into the water? Good stuff!

ChewyFlipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Toronto
im trying to find out as much as possible about the stuff.
and talked to some people who use it everyday. they think and believe it would be fine.
there is a chemical that is very dangerous to marine organisms, which the way its stated is talking about the liquid form and as it dries this chemical disapates. and once cured its gone.
but im just verifying what i read with them. or if there is a leaching time for this chemical to diminish. i believe it used to for drying of the product.
as i had swordtail frys in the tank for several hours. with out them dieing. there all the size of a piece of rice.

i think im going to be ordering the product and continue to do another test.

im just curious to know the longer a product is in water will it cause it to slowly break down and could cause long term issues? or anything of those effects?

yeah im thinking about trying it again.maybe different brewery though. i did like how it looked. be great to have in the man cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store