Pseudodoras niger & Hoplias malabaricus?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I've been thinking about /\/\onster tankmates for my 6'' Hoplias malabaricus ... he by himself is not too exciting to look at ... I could also look at a stuffed fish ... but maybe he just wants some more time to get used to his new environment.

BTW: He keeps regurgitating semi-digested beef heart 1-2 days after feeding. Any ideas :confused:

Anyhow, I can across catfish that looked very much like 3-4'' Pseudodoras niger at my LFS (labeled "Black something"). They look armored enough to not make a tasty snack. Will my wolf see that differently?

It's just an idea for now, I saw them last night and liked them. I know P. niger get big, but that might be a good excuse to get a bigger tank ;)

Whaddayathink?
HarleyK

roybryan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2006
georgia
p.nigers are definantly a good reason for a bigger tank. I have one and 2 wolves as well as other monsters in a 220 gal. they dont pay each other no mind. However if you think your wolf is boring this guy is worse he is a very peaceful monster and is only out at night

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
roybryan,

Great to get some first-hand info from someone who keeps them both :thumbsup:

What else do you have in your 220 gal tank besides these two species? And how big are your fish?

Thanks,
HarleyK

cichlidmaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Michigan
I agree that the niger is a very docile cat. I have mine in with a 22-23" TSN and they usually swim together or rest together.

I just added a large 20"+ silver aro and aside from the niger and TSN checking him out, they now could care less!!

Pics of the niger and TSN are in the "Catfish" forum if you would like to see a good size niger!!

Topic heading is "MY BEASTS"

Larry

roybryan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2006
georgia
I keep about 40 fish in my 220 several species of cichlids, 3 differant species of fw barracudas 2 payara a lima shovelnose and leaffish My wolves are about 6-7 inches each I have 2 and my p. niger is about 7-8 inches.

reddragon343

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
singapore
i think a niger is a good choice. cuz they have a relative amount of armour. mine definitely no probs. An adonis pleco may also be nice.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
If P. niger is also known as the "rip saw cat", then after awhile you'll want a bigger tank (trying to remember the latin of the one I had). I had one that was an easy 3' plus. But they are cool and very different looking, that's for sure.

lawrencewheaton

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
This fish is truely a gentle giant. Mine is 3 feet long, and about as big around as a 2 liter bottle. He is not done growing as far as I can tell. This is a BIG fish. He will eat what can fit in his mouth, and eats pellets and feeder goldfish like popcorn. They have a somewhat rigid body, so they need lots of turning room, and will struggle around tank decorations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store