How do you close holes drilled in the bottom of an acrylic tank?

oscarfishguy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
USA
I want to close holes drilled on the bottom of an acrylic tank. I was thinking of cutting plexiglass or acrylic disks that fit in the holes and then top with a bigger piece of plexiglass/acrylic to cover the disk insert. Am I on the right track with this? Should I cover the top, bottom or both? What should I use to bond these together?

Thanks!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
For a non-permanent fix, you could use a bulkhead fitting to plug the hole.

For a permanent fix, you would want to use Weld-on acrylic cement to attach a larger sheet of acrylic to cover the hole. I would get a piece of acrylic at least 2" larger than the hole in every direction, but bigger would be even better. So that the bottom of your tank is flat, I would attach it on the inside of the aquarium and not underneath.

Check this link out for more tips: http://www.tapplastics.com/info/adhesives.php?

If you have a tap plastics in your area, I would go in and talk to them about the best way to go about sealing the hole (if you want a permanent fix). They sell scrap pieces for really cheap and you can practice on those before working on your tank because once the weld-on sets, there is no going back...it's there for good.

Edit: Jay beat me to the punch.

oscarfishguy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
USA
I thought about bulkheads, but there are 8 holes of different sizes and I will never use them again. So I don't need the round disk to fill the holes? Does the cover need to be cell cast acrylic? I don't really know the difference betw cell cast acrylic and acrylic. I'm guessing the cement isn't available at home depot.

Thanks!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
The round disc isn't necesary. Cell Cast acrylic and Extruded acrylic are both acrylic...the difference between the two is how they are manufactured. From what I understand you will probably get a better bond using cell cast.

I don't think Home Depot carries Weld On products...it's more of a specialty cement.

joncd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Iowa
I would recommend going with bulkheads. By using acrylic to patch the holes you are hurting future resale value.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
weld on #4 or #18 will work with any shape patch on the inside of your tank. Ive done this process many times with multiple thicknesses of acrylic. You dont need to fill the hole with a round piece, if your worried sometimes i flip the tanks over and fill them with #18 glue. For a first time youll probably have better luck with the #18 weldon, its thicker and easier to pour on large patches. I like using atleast 1/2" acrylic and either tape the acrylic in place or weight it down with anything heavy i can find. Dry time is 48hrs. I like to wait atleast 3 days before adding water to the tank. Good luck, easy fix for $50 or less check your local glass shop for scraps

gyroman1962

Feeder Fish
Mar 23, 2016
I have a question, I have an opportunity to get a free 180 gallon drilled acrylic tank. The only issue is someone had drilled out the back bottom section, between back panel and bottom panel to make a tray slide for a bird cage. Can this be fixed or not worth the effort. (see pic below). Want to know if worth getting and fixing so can use. Will be at bottom of tank and could make in back so wouldn't really show.

Tanks_1.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store