Tankmates of The Ribbon eel

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
Ribbion eels ( Rhinomuraena sp. )
Ribbon morays are relatively " reef safe" in that they do not consume more than mouth-sized fishes and invertebrates. The opposite is not true, however. be very careful in placing other livestock with your Rhinomuraena.
Spiny urchins will poke them, stinging animales may sting them and too much commotion in their immediate world will put them off feeding,possibly preventing them from coming out of their tunnel at all ! Whatever fishes are housed with your ribbion moray eel, they should be easy going and few in number . Think Anthiines, gobies and blennies --- not triggers, angels or puffers.
More than one ribbion eel may be housed in an appropriately sized system. On the reef , they are often found with two indivduals of the same color or sexual phase occupying the same hole , at times three together.
Some people keep their ribbion eels in systems that are to small with too raucous tankmates tankmates. Be ready to invest the time and resources necessary to house and feed your ribbion eel. This isn't easy , but it is possible --- and also quite rewarding to keep ribbion moray eels in captivity

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i've read they are quite hard to keep in general, because of feeding? are they filter feeders?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Not filter feeders. Just hard to keep in general.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ah. just wondering why then?
would keeping them and blue spot stingrays work. too hard species to keep, would make a great blue sw tank though for neo lol

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
really they keep very well if kept right.. as long as they r caught right and not poisoned

sahir99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
dallas
i'm pretty sure you can keep a barracuda and groupers with them because i have that and they did't eat my ribbion eels

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Nice reading but why is this in the BW forum?

SalmonAfrica

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
South Africa
I'm with Pufferpunk... hardly a brackish fish.

I don't think that they should be made so freely avaliable - they're very hard to get to feed, and so many die of starvation in capatvity. IMO, one to be left in the ocean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store