Glass questions- please help

briggspower

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2010
pa
I'm making a plywood aquarium. Dimensions are 84"x26"x30".... do I get a sheet of glass that is 84"? Or do I get it a little smaller to fit inside my face plate? Also the glass company quoted me $450 with the glass ends polished, as well as tempered. Do you guys get your edges polished? How about the whole sheet tempered? Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to get started. Just want to clear up a few things. I've been researching a lot, I don't want you guys to do my research for me. But I couldn't figure this stuff out. Thanks again

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
I'd go about 1/2" smaller than your FINAL internal dims and skip on temp and polish

briggspower

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2010
pa
I'd go about 1/2" smaller than your FINAL internal dims and skip on temp and polish
Thanks for the response. ill go ahead and do what you uggested. I just have to clear up a couple more things and then starts the build. I can't wait to get this thing started

Gr8Greek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Gilbert,AZ
I too would go about 5/32 or 1/2 inch smaller than your dimensions. I would at least flat grind all your edges as 1/2 glass for anyone is tough to cut and break. If you are not stressing to your provider that you need clean cuts what you will end up with are clammed and rough edges to work with. Most people polish the edges to make sure that the edges are clean and smooth but it is also preferential

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
1/2" thickness, doesnt need tempered and edges dont need polished. However, the edges will be extremely sharp. I suggest asking them to at least sand the edges. If they want too much for it, do it yourself with silicon carbide sand paper. Well thats what they use, but regular sand paper can almost do the same..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store