New Concrete Tank Build - planning and research stage

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I may add a garage to my house this time next year, pending approval from the city. I would like to entertain the possibilities of installing a massive concrete tank. It would be an L shaped tank about 6 feet top to bottom and 6 feet front to back and in the neighborhood of 26 feet long on the long side of the L. I have a drawing to explain kind of what I’m thinking.

On the main viewing side I would use two 4X8 sheets of acrylic. All the windows would be held in place by a welded stainless steel frame sunk into the concrete. The windows would start two feet off the ground. The bottom two feet of the tank would be just a concrete tub, just in case I would have to lower the water level for maintenance on the windows. Also I would have a concrete wall at the corner of the “L” going from the front of the tank to the back of the tank. This wall would be 3 feet maybe four feet high so I could drop the water level to that point and then completely drain one side of the tank and still be able to keep fish in the other side of the tank. Or if I needed to keep two separate tanks going at the same time for some reason? This is why I wanted to start a discussion here on MFK. I want to talk about filtering options, concrete, drain locations, flow in the tank, lighting (most likely solar)

Let me know what you guys think? Link me to concrete tanks already built. Any personal experience with large tank filtration and so on.

Fish Tank 1.jpg

Fish Tank 2.jpg

Fish Tank 3.jpg

Fish Tank 4.jpg

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
This would be a perfect time to build a large cement fish tank in that if you are going to have to have a cement truck come in and add cement for footings and slabs that the Garage is going to sit on. It would be cheaper and safer to add the giant cement fish tank when you are going to have everything for this new room built and planned out at the same time.

I plan to built a several gallon cement fish tank to my house in the form of the fish tank going in the same room as the new train room on the side of my house. But as if now I have to find the place first.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I agree with you Ocean. I have a year before I start the garage and I want everything planed to maximize this build with the least headaches. I want to go deep with this tank and simulate an Amazon forest flooded to about 6 feet deep. Huge tree trunks in the water area. Sky lights, floor to ceiling windows to keep the humidity on one side and me happy and comfortable on the other side :)

Chozoisw33d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2012
Georgia
That sounds really cool, and i'm either having trouble realizing the scale or i'm not understanding how the idea of a concrete tank works?

Do you have a drawing or picture of what the tank actually looks like ?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
There's a couple of concrete tanks on MFK in the article section. Arapaimag has two of them, one is 50,000 and one is 15,000 gallons. Another one is made by Todd and is 2500 gallons. I'm using these articles as guides. My plan is about 9000 gallons give or take.

I'm working on the details now. I want to get drains in the right locations, ventilation, maintenance issues on such a large tank and so on. The actual tank concrete pouring and construction will be contracted out.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Great plans, looks awesome. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering why you have the "L"? Without a window on the small part of the "L", not sure about it. Is this for filtration or just to do the drain and divide thing you mentioned earlier? I just envision this awe inspiring tank, and the fish in that 6' x 6' x 6' section you can't see. Looking forward to watching!

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Dude this going to be pretty sweet! so what's your plan for filteration? If your going all natrual look are u going to have monster drift wood for the brown tint and some pond plants??

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

twilight zone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2011
somewhere in the zone
It's going to be a very nice setup if it is done properly. Do your research and have a well experienced contractor that knows what's going on. Make sure they have a valid contractor's license, worker's compensation, bond, and insurance before spending time talking to them. I've seen bad jobs that makes you think twice before hiring anyone. Years of experience doesn't mean anything. It's the training and type of projects that they've been doing that counts. I do not have a lot of experience in the field but ask them about a "neoprene wet seal" and see if they know what it is(it's a rubber piece that joints the base to the wall to create a water tight pond or tank because the base and wall have to be done on a separate pour). Good Luck.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I knew you weren't going to eat that goonch! lol

But seriuosly, my concern would be the cost to run such a huge setup. Say you want just 2 turnovers per hour, you would need an 18,000GPH pump (or multiple smaller pumps). That's going to run anywhere between 1,500 to 2,000 Watts! Not sure what you pay per KWHr (I pay $.30/KWHr) so running 1,500 Watts 24/7 would cost me $325/month and if it's 2,000 Watts that would cost me $432/month. It wouldn't be so bad if your rates are closer to the national average of $.11/KWHr, but that's still easily over $100/month...just for water circulation.

If I were building something this large, I would look into an air driven filter. I can't remember where I read about it, but I think it was a stingray breeding facility in the UK where the guy was using large air pumps to move water through his filtration system and he was able to achieve good turnover very efficiently...and most importantly, his water was nice and clear.

I know you are in AZ, but I would think that from November through at least March you would need to heat (depending on what you keep). Are you thinking heat exchanger off of a hot water heater? If you go through with it, make sure you insulate the crap out of the entire setup. I think if you just pour straight concrete with no insulation, you will lose a ton of heat through the bottom.

I would love to see you build this thing, but I would reach out to some of the guys that have systems this large (JohnPTC, Arapaimag, etc) to get some monthly operating cost figures and definitely look into making it as efficient as possible so that it doesn't drive you into the poor house.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store