300Gal glass/plwood idea

Tiwaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Just starting to plan a new tank build. I like the idea of a plywood tank but I want more viewwing area. Do you think that the concept could work as shown

The tank bottom and back would be plywood covered in fiberglass cloth and poly resin the front and sides are glass. There are 2" strips that wrap around the bottom and sides as shown.
Tank dimensions as drawn are 96lx24dx30h for roughly 300 gal.

Thanks,

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think thats a cool idea. I think with the proper planning it would work. The reason for most to use only one pane of glass is for the cost savings. Personally I don't know that I trust myself to silicone two pieces of glass together but laying down a thick bead to seal to plywood was no problem.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
You have no way of bonding the glass to the plywood, so no this design will not work.

In order to make it work, you would have to have at least a frame of wood around the glass to attach to the plywood back and bottom. Then you could insert the glass and have viewing windows on three sides.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I respectfully disagree nola. he could coat the entire wood surface with epoxy and then silicone the glass to the epoxy. From what I can see he has an edge the will support the glass on the bottom and up the sides. He could silicone the glass to the edges and then for added security place a bead of silicone around the bottom of the tank. I might just feel a build coming on!!! Tiwaz I may just borrow this :)

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Only problem I see is effectively bracing the top. This is a cool Idea however not cost efficient I imagine It would be close to the same price to do this out of all glass then glass and plywood.

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
Definately possible. I have a few different designs just like this. Heres a prototype tank I built out of scrap wood and glass...This is a small scale but in a bigger design, with thicker glass, this is do-able.

DSC_1064.JPG

DSC_1065.JPG

DSC_1066.JPG

Tiwaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I respectfully disagree nola. he could coat the entire wood surface with epoxy and then silicone the glass to the epoxy. From what I can see he has an edge the will support the glass on the bottom and up the sides. He could silicone the glass to the edges and then for added security place a bead of silicone around the bottom of the tank. I might just feel a build coming on!!! Tiwaz I may just borrow this :)
Thats what the plan was.

Actually, I didn't see the lip around the back wall, so I recant my statement. It will actually work.
Ok then, I was trying to figure out why you thought it wouldn't work.

as a side note. While I was out doing a service call today I found this.

Oh imagine the possibilities

Tiwaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Only problem I see is effectively bracing the top. This is a cool Idea however not cost efficient I imagine It would be close to the same price to do this out of all glass then glass and plywood.
Very true, I was just trying to see if the coooncept was sound.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store