"Pros and cons" experienced comments please

TheBlackRayGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Earth
I will be starting my build soon around 800-1000 gallons 2x4's....4x4...plywood and fiberglass" possible gel coat and then the following >>>>>>>>

What is the best liquid rubber??

What is the best epoxy??

What is best between rubber and epoxy?????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Permadri products are the US version of the liquidrubber.ca (Zavlar, etc.) products originated in Canada. They are probably the most widely know of the liquid rubber products. I can have Permadri products drop-shipped to you.

Max ACR available on Ebay has become the preferred epoxy. It does not need to be top-coated.

My tank is coated with Permadri Rubber Coat/Pond Coat (they are same but marketed under different names for different markets), but if I had to do it over I'd go with Max ACR. See JohnG's builds or VLDesign's latest builds for the most recent information.

JohnG's build has the best floor design and both of their builds utilize my stacked lumber design. Mine, due to height, is built with 2x6s rather than 2x4s like theirs.

TheBlackRayGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Earth
Thanks.... What's the pros and cons of both? I've heard epoxy cracks over time where zavlar ect are elastic and can stretch.... Are all 100% waterproof? My strength and structure design is more than strong enough but I'm concerned about top coat over fiberglass and still being able to seal window

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
I have never used any the of epoxy products but I did build a 315G tank using liquid rubber a couple of years ago. The product was very easy to use and was pretty forgiving when I messed things up. When using LR there are a few things you need to consider when sealing your viewing window. Liquid rubber does not stick to most silicone products and silicone is not fond of liquid rubber. I understand that Dow795 can be used with LR but I have not tried it myself. I used fiberglass resin to bridge the products and get my viewing window sealed which was a very easy solution. There is a link to my build in my signature if you are interested.

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
Ive never used liquid rubber on any of my tanks, so I couldnt give pros and cons to it. However, I have used several different epoxy products. My favorite epoxy and best suited for the job, is sweetwater epoxy. Very good adhesion to a variety of materials, gives with the material, and doesnt need top coated. Excellent adhesion to silicone. I've made 300 gallon plywood tanks out of this and the silicone was able to hold a 92"x22"1/2" piece of glass upside down...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Permadri can stretch 400%, BUT in order to hold water it has to maintain 40-60 mils thickness. Stretched beyond 40 mils under pressure don't expect that it will hold.

From what I've been told, epoxy over fiberglass has more flexibility and resilience than epoxy alone. JohnG had great success with just using fiberglass in the corners and just epoxy (Max ACR) on the rest. He did topcoat the tanks for color since MAX ACR is clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store