Figure 8 puffer went mental

alex101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Cleveland Ohio
www.myspace.com
I just got my very first Puffer and I'm so excited. But since he's been in my tank he hasn't been very social. Mostly swimming up and down in one corner of the tank. I plan on getting him a buddy but they won't stock more puffers till next week. Is he just getting used to the tank or does he need a freind?

Matty1124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Ohio
nice pick up... you didnt go back to gomer did you?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i think i know what you mean, and it sounds like a fish (esp. puffer) just getting used to his surroundings. as long as it has hides and the water is ok it should settle down

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Yea, he's learning his new surroundings. Watch out, he might go after someone. How big is the tank? What else is in it?

alex101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Cleveland Ohio
www.myspace.com
It's a 29 gallon and there's nothing else in it right now. I'm gonna get another figure 8. I have about 3 fake plants in there I need to put some hiding rocks. I can't get them till tomorrow though. Are live plants worth putting in there? I had some YEARS ago and they were such a pain in the ass. They just kept getting ripped up and never took to the bottom. Any suggestions?

alex101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Cleveland Ohio
www.myspace.com
Should I stick to figure 8 puffers or maybe throw a spotted in there?

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I would stick to the figure 8's, spotted puffers get bigger than the 8's and will need a higher salinity as they get older. Make sure that the puffer has an interesting tank to swim around in, the get bored very easily and will "pace" up and down or back and forth in the tank. I wouldn't put live plants in the brackish water and the puffer will probably shred them up anyway?. I would get maybe one or two more figure 8's if you really want to, but make sure that they are getting along. These are great fish ! Have fun with them, it sounds like you are gonna have a pretty sweet tank!

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
big E;595596; said:
I would stick to the figure 8's, spotted puffers get bigger than the 8's and will need a higher salinity as they get older. Make sure that the puffer has an interesting tank to swim around in, the get bored very easily and will "pace" up and down or back and forth in the tank. I wouldn't put live plants in the brackish water and the puffer will probably shred them up anyway?. I would get maybe one or two more figure 8's if you really want to, but make sure that they are getting along. These are great fish ! Have fun with them, it sounds like you are gonna have a pretty sweet tank!
The puffer won't shred the plants, just other fish and shrimp in the tank. Give him some ghosties to play with, but if this is a new tank, let the cycle finish out. Puffers don't do well in new tanks. Also, stick with Figure 8s and only get one more. Get 20 ghost shrimp though! And krill so they have something frozed/freeze dried to eat as well.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
id stick to just the 8's they can be a bit nippy, and you wouldnt want it to take a chunk out of the dwarfs. plants are harder to keep in brackish...

i know there is controversy over whether these are fresh or brackish, but i've known people had there puffers happier when in fw conditions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store