Puffers! And tank mates? Suggestions?

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Bethlehem & Philadelphia, PA
Okay so I absolutely miss my puffers... I'm going to try to convince my roomie to set up the 30 gallon tank and put some puffers in it (i dont know if they'll go for it or not) but I'm just curious what you guys would suggest for tank mates. I had 2 puffers in a tank and they ate EVERYTHING else I had in there with them (which include a ghost knife fish, 3 flouder like things). I really hated having a tank with ONLY 2 puffers in it, was kinda depressing but nothing lived. :feedback:

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Ah, guess I should have stated that... I dont really have the time or patience right now for a saltwater tank, so Brackish it is!!

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
get 4-6 dwarf freshwater puffers. add some schools of small tetras. see how things go... i think they might all get along fine.

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
brakish water puffers (ie green spots or fig 8s) are tough to have tank mates b/c they love to nip fins and they have some serious teeth that do a good deal of damage

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Not angelfish, did that, bad thing.

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
mkpeters6 said:
brakish water puffers (ie green spots or fig 8s) are tough to have tank mates b/c they love to nip fins and they have some serious teeth that do a good deal of damage
Haha, no kidding huh? My green spotted puffers before ATE my ghost knife fish, all I found was his skeleton... he was about 3"-4", they were, oh, I dunno, maybe 1" if they were lucky? Those little b@stards! :p

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
how about you just stick to the puffers cuz chances are everything will be eaten you have already learned that so just get a school of puffers in a 30 gal tank you could keep like 5 spots and 5 figure 8's without being close to max for the tank... and who cares what the roommate thinks unless she is really hot and then I would understand...

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I would not reccomend keeping more than 1 or 2 'Brackish' Puffers in a 30g tank. The green spotted puffers grow fairly large, but most don't make it that far. T. nigroviridis, T. fluviatilis, and T. biocellatus are often commonly available, but they will grow large (3-6") and become aggressive.

The green spotted puffers should really have a min. tank size of 50g, for 1 or 2.

F8s should be fine in a 30g, but I wouldnt go any smaller.

I would go with 2 figure 8s, and a butis butis. Possibly a knight goby, too.

There is alot of ignorance about Pufferfish, and alot of bad information out there. If you are serious about your puffers, I would go to **************.org and ask people that are very well versed in puffer husbandry. Most information you will recieve regarding puffers on other forums, will be incorrect.

Hope that helps!

Miles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store