Max acr vs sweetwater so to speak...

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Hi all, I am in the middle of building my 530g plywood aquarium in wall in my finished basement. I am just about ready to seal it but am now 2nd guessing myself. My original plan was to use pond armor but changed my mind after reading how difficult it was to work with and the cost of it. My next though was to use fibergalss and epoxy from US Composites, using the epoxy to wet the glass, and then proceed with 3 or 4 coats of pigmented epoxy over that for the final seal. I then decided I would just use the us composites epoxy to put down the layer of glass then go with sweetwater epoxy over for the final seal after reading so much good stuff about the sweetwater product. Now I am seeing people are loving the results with the ebay max acr. Anyone have actual experience with both products? Also to lay my mind at ease are any of my original plans better than any of the others? I just finished my basement, and this tank CANNOT leak! I am trying to take every precaution, and I am taking my sweet, sweet time building this to be sure its right, so I want the seal to be perfect. Thank you guys for any suggestions critiques or critisisms :)

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
im in the same boat as you are. im gonna be starting a large build in the next month or so, some may remember vldesigns starphire glass that was sold while back...i was also thinking of us composites epoxy and glass, covered w/ sweetwater. also checking into max acr but will still probably topcoat w/ sweetwater. more as a peice of mind and make sure the backgound is totally blacked out. im definatly keeping up on this thread.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
I used us composite with fiberglass and then sweet water as my top coat. I have had my tank up and running for over 7 months now. I have had no problems with it. I never had any leaks even for the test fill. I built mine a little different then most. I built my tank in panels and bolted and silicone them together. If you go to the link in my sig you can take a look at the build. I had experience with sweet water in the past and it worked great then too.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
sweetwater is a tried and true, but OLD smelly epoxy. Max ACR does not need to be topcoated and seals on its own. From what I gather from reading, you can add colorant to Max ACR and do not need to topcoat it for color now.

Check out JohnG's builds for what really works. His builds are clean and never leaked from square one.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
Hi all, I am in the middle of building my 530g plywood aquarium in wall in my finished basement. I am just about ready to seal it but am now 2nd guessing myself. My original plan was to use pond armor but changed my mind after reading how difficult it was to work with and the cost of it. My next though was to use fibergalss and epoxy from US Composites, using the epoxy to wet the glass, and then proceed with 3 or 4 coats of pigmented epoxy over that for the final seal. I then decided I would just use the us composites epoxy to put down the layer of glass then go with sweetwater epoxy over for the final seal after reading so much good stuff about the sweetwater product. Now I am seeing people are loving the results with the ebay max acr. Anyone have actual experience with both products? Also to lay my mind at ease are any of my original plans better than any of the others? I just finished my basement, and this tank CANNOT leak! I am trying to take every precaution, and I am taking my sweet, sweet time building this to be sure its right, so I want the seal to be perfect. Thank you guys for any suggestions critiques or critisisms :)
Either Max ACR or the US Composites product can be tinted for the final coats and that would be my personal preference for working in an enclosed basement. I have applied many gallons of Sweetwater (or other similar solvent based epoxy paints) over the years and the odor is potent.

Max ACR and the US Composites epoxy are 100% solids so they are solvent free and a much better choice for working indoors.

I do not have experience with both products. I have ordered from US Composites but don't believe I've used their basic epoxy. I do like the company and their technical service people. Their basic epoxy can be ordered with hardeners of various viscosities which can be nice for wetting out fiberglass. But Max ACR on the other hand seems to be well liked and much of their customer service seems to be geared towards plywood tanks which is a huge bonus, IMO.

Regardless, my main reasoning for posting was to steer you away from Sweetwater since you'll be using it in an enclosed basement.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Thank you for the advice. I know the potent odor of sweetwater was the original reason I steered clear of it, but the more I thought about it I knew it was a tried and true method. I think after what you said Pete, and a couple PM's I'm going to go with straight Max ACR to wet out the glass and to do the final seal. I went ahead and ordered it today, so hopefully I will have a tank in less than a month (or a divorce and a soaked finished basement!!!). Lets hope its not the latter!

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I really should just make a build thread but i don't know if I wanna go that into yet :) but anyway, I have the walls in ready to be sanded and glassed. My question is what should I use to fill the screw holes with? I have read bondo and have also seen a few people say to not use bondo. I saw a bondo fiberglass resin at home depot and thought about that. What are your thoughts on this, I want to get this part done tomorrow so I can start glassing as soon as a get the glass from us composites, which btw I only bought corner fiberglass, is there any real advantage to fiberglassing ALL the walls? I originally planned on doing so but the more I think about it I have never worked with glass before and not sure how well I will do with it, secondly I am not going to have any sharp rocks or whatnot in the tank to accidentally fall over and strike a wall or anythign like that. Anyway thanks for any more advice.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
I really should just make a build thread but i don't know if I wanna go that into yet :) but anyway, I have the walls in ready to be sanded and glassed. My question is what should I use to fill the screw holes with? I have read bondo and have also seen a few people say to not use bondo. I saw a bondo fiberglass resin at home depot and thought about that. What are your thoughts on this, I want to get this part done tomorrow so I can start glassing as soon as a get the glass from us composites, which btw I only bought corner fiberglass, is there any real advantage to fiberglassing ALL the walls? I originally planned on doing so but the more I think about it I have never worked with glass before and not sure how well I will do with it, secondly I am not going to have any sharp rocks or whatnot in the tank to accidentally fall over and strike a wall or anythign like that. Anyway thanks for any more advice.
Either order some of the thixotropix epoxy along with your Max ACR or use some of it with your own thickener. Since I assume you'll be putting fillets of thickened epoxy along all your interior seams I would just order some of their thixotropic epoxy.

If you want to thicken it yourself you can use Cabosil, milled fiberglass fibers, ground walnut shells, microspheres or even talc, which is what Bondo uses.

If you're going to thicken yourself I would get Max ACR's opinion. They might even sell a thickener.

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
im still with ya. i myself work in a bodyshop for 10+ years.. i will not use bondo...or any other body filler . if your gonna go that route pick up some duraglass, or long and strong by evercoat, it has long fibers that are easy to fill with but use a steady hand to make level . bondo is like a sponge when it comes to water ( condensation or direct contact) ask any bodyman... you bondo over fiberglass, not the opposite.... im on the plan of applying a wet or thinned out coat of resin, thinned with what the manufacture reccomends, thinner, reducer or the like, this should give a good bite to the plywood and a slight sanding should adhere the next full resin excellent. next i want to fill the screws w/ resin along w/ fiberglassing joints and seams at that point, more coats if needed . then fiberglassing one coat of mat throughout. then sweetwater. call me crazy, but the dust from sanding between coats and the fumes only last a few days... the piece of mind will last alot longer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store