Resealing Tanks?

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
I've recently gotten into the DIY part of the aquarium hobby, which I'm finding is just as fun as the fish keeping itself! I've made a couple of smaller all-glass tanks using using the standard "GE Silicone #1" with good results!(30 gallon up and running with no issues for 2 months) but....apparently I'm not very good at resealing leaky tanks! Had a minor disaster with a 110 gallon and another 45 gallon that didn't hold. With that all said, I'm just wondering if there is a stronger product I could use such as an epoxy or something? I'm not as concerned about appearance as I am functionality!

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fly boy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
robin hood county
silicone is more than strong enough , you need to take the leaky panel out , strip all of the old silicone off and make sure its totally dry before you glue it all back together and give it sufficient time to dry before you re fill it

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
That is the main thing making sure that the glass is completely clean. I have never used any silicone other than All-Glass. Also i don't thing you need to take the pane out.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Resealing a tank is easy. Preparation is the key. No need to remove the pane of glass. You have to reseal the whole tank. New caulk does not stick to old caulk very well. Cut out the caulk on the inside of the tank. A vacuum helps picking up the small pieces of caulk. After caulk is removed clean area to be caulked with acetone or rubbing alcohol. Apply caulk. Smooth out with finger or tool. Let dry for 48 hours before filling.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
As long as the inner seal is not pierced you shouldn't have to remove the glass pane. Good Luck :)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yes, I've replaced broken panes. A friend just replaced the bottom of a 180 with glass he got from Glasscages. It's definitely worth it. Just check all the other seals (between the glass). They should look solid and clear with no striations or breaks. You do have to reseal the entire inside of the tank when you replace the missing pane, so get the old silicone cleaned off before even getting your replacement glass. Just inside, not between the panes.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thank you all, I appreciate the advice. Now, I have done all the necessary steps. Removed old silicone, cleaned with acetone, beaded the seams with GE 100% silicone #1, flattened seams with finger, cured for a week before filling, and still a disaster. Is there any other sort of stronger adhesive/sealant/weld I could use on glass that it won't matter if old silicone is COMPLETELY removed. Something that would cover and adhere to the silicone??? Pond sealant, epoxy, marine adhesives?

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store