7 1/2 X 8 X 4 first try

xXEddieXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
west virginia
hey everyone i am looking to make a tank for my nurse shark and my other large fish I currently have 5 tanks running in the house a 2 150 gall+ 2 35 gall+ and one 25gall custom
We want to be able to keep the nurse shark for a long time and we want to get a black tip as well any tips for chillers or filtration we have heated flora so it would require a chiller but I have never used one

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Check prices from Laird Plastics. I think they have a location close to you. I used the one in Houston for my 2" 4'x8' cell cast acrylic window. Depending on the size of the window, 3/4" could work, but I'd be inclined to suggest you go with at least 1" for added safety.

Look at VLDesign's and JohnG's builds to see what thickness they used.

In regard to your design, whichever way you build it, sticking with standard lengths of dimensional lumber i.e. 8', 10', 12', etc. will save you lots of cuts.

xXEddieXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
west virginia
We have all of the tools needed to build it my family consists of construction workers and plumbers so cutting the wood and get the materials other then the acrylic is not an issue we just want to maximize the space we have for it we have heated Flores and I have never looked at chillers before. Any ideas on what I should use for that

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Think Kegerator!

Buy a dorm size refrigerator.

Get enough PEX tubing to coil from top to bottom in the refrigerator.

Buy Uniseal fittings from aquaticeco.com or some other place on the net that has them. You'll need two that will allow the PEX tubing to fit snugly through.

Drill two appropriate size holes for the Uniseals in a convenient location on the fridge making sure it's not somewhere that you'll damage the cooling capabilities.

Insert your Uniseal fittings from the inside of the fridge.

Insert PEX tubing ends out through the Uniseal fittings.

Attached end fittings to the PEX.

Plumb your new refrigerator chiller to your filtration by connecting the PEX to a pump and return.

Hook a thermostat controller to your pump to circulate the water when the temp in the tank is too high.

Turn on your mini-fridge and there you go.

xXEddieXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
west virginia
Lol I come from a family of plumbers I love pex pipe we have a lot of it. What size pipe do you think the overflows should be if I want to have two different overflows on different sides of the back?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Flexpvc.com is a filtration parts playground. I haven't found a better selection of bulkheads anywhere.

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=BulkheadFittingsStandard (the 2" white and black ones are the ones I chose)

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=BulkheadFittingScreens (the ones I got are like the black one at the top but for 2" which they have discontinued)

Depends on the pump you're using, but I'd suggest you go 2" out and 1/2" bigger than recommended in. i.e. if they say you need 3/4" go 1.25". What they recommend doesn't take into account restriction from angles in plumbing. I'd also go with flexible pvc in, so you avoid 90's and 45's which add to head pressure.

xXEddieXx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
west virginia
How are you coating your plywood? I have read about a bunch of different ways to do it and is sweet water epoxy paint good and well I have to do more then one coat? Any help well be awesome

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store