Bracing and resealing a tank?

magimango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
England
Hi, apologies if this is a very daft/simple question(s). But I managed to pick up a free 150cm x 50cm x 60cm tank, only issue is one of the brace bars broke and the tank was bowing apparently. So my aim is to get some glass cut to rebrace it. My question is, is there a minimum thinkness of glass, and is there a particular way of doing it? Would multiple braces make a difference? (for my peace of mind at least!) And would it be worth resealing the whole tank? (Again something I've never done) Would it be a simple case of running silicone sealent over the existing stuff?

Any help appreciated!

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Here's how to reseal it and as for bracing it.It depends on size of tank. I like to use 1/4 inch for tanks up to 55 gallons.For tanks bigger than that I use 3/8 inch thick.Then just silicone it to the glass not the plastic.You may have to cut away the trim on the inside of the tank.
[video=youtube;qiKhaq4pSp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiKhaq4pSp8[/video]

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
A friend of mine just glues a piece of acrylic to the underside of the broken brace to repair it. .635 cm glass is also a good size (equivalent to 1/4" as said above) to use if you want to go with glass brace.

A photo of the broken brace and tank would be helpful to determine the best solution.

magimango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
England
Thanks guys much appreciated!! Yeah I'll get a picture up, but literally the broken brace isn't there anymore, the guy was using a clamp to act as a brace! But I'll get some pics up of it, before, during and after completion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store