250 Gallon IBC Tank

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I bought this bulk container today. I plan on turning it into a tank for more space. I started by cutting an access slash lid. Here are a few pictures.

It has a two inch valve built in the bottom. I plan on installing a pump to circulate the water through a filter. I haven't quite got that part planed yet. Thinking I will build somthing to set on top and let it gravity feed back to the tank.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
any input or thoughts, Any potential problems ? Thanks

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
what was in it originally? you will want to make sure it is supper clean so you dont kill your fish. also unless you cut some windows in it you wont be able to see much of your fish. as far as filtration you could easily adapt a canister style filter to that bottom drain. then just plumb the return from the filter to the top of the tank.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It has been cleaned but I plan on giving it a good scrub with very hot water and filling it with a bleach and water solution. Then rinsing and refilling with fresh water and a chlorine neutralizer.
I already have a pump that will move 700 gallons an hour so I was planning on putting it to use.
As for being able to see the fish. It will mainly be used for growing out a lot of smaller fish. so being able to watch them Is not really a priority.

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
in that case it could be a fun project. if you are planning on using the bottom drain i would get a canister filter for it it would be the easiest way to filter it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store