20 feet Killer Whale vs 10 feet Great White Shark

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Clash of the titans: Whale vs. Shark

October 8, 1997

SAN FRANCISCO (CNN) -- Move over, Jaws. An underwater battle captured on videotape proves that killer whales are the kings of the sea.

The first known videotape of a clash between a killer whale and a great white shark has enthralled whale watchers all over the world.

"Nothing like this has been known to happen before," said Mary Jane Schramm, a naturalist who witnessed the attack Saturday off the Farallon Islands.

Marine biologists had assumed that the ocean's two big predators tended to avoid each other. But the tape shows otherwise.

The video was shot by wildlife enthusiasts on a cruise sponsored by the Oceanic Society. They were alerted by a radio transmission from a fisherman who had spotted two orcas in the area.

The expedition found the two killer whales -- a 20-foot-long female and a youngster about half her length -- were still there, swimming idly about.

"Then we noticed this dark shape moving in the water, giving the orcas a wide berth," Schramm said.

The adult orca veered toward the dark shape, and then surged to the surface with a 10-foot-long great white shark in her jaws. "We were stunned," Schramm said.

The killer whale eventually swam away from the boat and began thrashing the shark on the surface of the water, a practice orcas typically employ with their prey.

Around this time, Peter Pyle, a great white shark expert with the Point Reyes Bird Observatory, arrived on the scene. He got within 5 feet of the killer whales, then used a special underwater camera to record the attack.

Having made her kill, the victorious orca let her maternal instinct take over.

"The female apparently killed the shark, but she didn't eat it -- she was encouraging the calf to feed," Schramm said.

Schramm said the calf "especially liked the liver. You know how hard it can be to get kids to eat. Not him, though."

Click Here To Watch The Video:
http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9710/08/whale.vs.shark/

shark_great_white_250163e.jpg

128whale.jpg

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
fascinating, video is downloading as i type this :)

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Round Two
Killer Whale The Avenger

In the San Francisco news archive there is a report of this revenge being carried out, a 15 foot Great White Shark was seen killing a baby Orca by fishermen, the next day 200 miles away in San Francisco bay , traffic backed up when the same 15 foot Shark was seen flying through the air, the mother of the eaten baby had tracked the Shark down and was beating the crap out of it in front of hundreds of spectators.

The Orca took her time and threw the Shark around for a couple of hours, eventually picking it up and thrashing it on the surface of the water until it was scattered hunks of meat.

KillerWhaleAttackingGray.jpg

greatwhite4_hzoom.jpg

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
Sarcosuchus;596880; said:
Round Two
Killer Whale The Avenger

In the San Francisco news archive there is a report of this revenge being carried out, a 15 foot Great White Shark was seen killing a baby Orca by fishermen, the next day 200 miles away in San Francisco bay , traffic backed up when the same 15 foot Shark was seen flying through the air, the mother of the eaten baby had tracked the Shark down and was beating the crap out of it in front of hundreds of spectators.

The Orca took her time and threw the Shark around for a couple of hours, eventually picking it up and thrashing it on the surface of the water until it was scattered hunks of meat.
hey, i'd thrash that shark to chunks too if it ate my kid. (If I had one)

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
KRAZEE!!!!

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Here's an argument I found about which one would win, there are many but this one I find funny.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres are definately pros n cons in both species wait one is a fish the other is a mammal right? Ok kudos back n forth. Given that both were the same size eg. like 20footers. I'm a big shark fan but I'd have to say the killer whale is more intelligent surely they are respectful trainable by humans and do the same things the shark does which is what... hunt sea lions and similar. Both can breach out of the water so whoever doesnt know that better watch real footage of the great white breaching its intense. The footage i saw of shark vs orca is bogust completely. You can't see notta but fins moving around then they pan towards the orca as if he won but you see notta,,, no confrontation actually happening just near each other jeess the shark was a lil guy a 10footer. Ok so heres the deal the sharks teeth are superior they are replaceable and more serrated more vicious action. The killer whale teeth remind me of a hippo lol!!!! But the orca like the dolphin is gonna use torpedo technology and smarts to lunge the shark in the side and kill it but if the great white snaps and clamps bye bye Orca pretty animal...

Next lets talk about lions vs tigers ive seen the vid already... Lions like Orcas are pack hunters.. equivalent to a bunch of drunk yoyo bling blings making tough with mouth not action on the street to an individual... next day both on the street individual style... the independant strength of a sole hunter is more greater than a wannabee power group almost always... the tiger is independant much more closer to the domestic house cat in a large size, so after the pysche mode tiger pounced the heck out of a lion the same size like doing circles around it and if you ever seen the video... there goes king of the jungle roger that?

Jaws of Death.JPG

CAPOREGIME

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Somewhere???
Sarcosuchus;596918; said:
Here's an argument I found about which one would win, there are many but this one I find funny.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres are definately pros n cons in both species wait one is a fish the other is a mammal right? Ok kudos back n forth. Given that both were the same size eg. like 20footers. I'm a big shark fan but I'd have to say the killer whale is more intelligent surely they are respectful trainable by humans and do the same things the shark does which is what... hunt sea lions and similar. Both can breach out of the water so whoever doesnt know that better watch real footage of the great white breaching its intense. The footage i saw of shark vs orca is bogust completely. You can't see notta but fins moving around then they pan towards the orca as if he won but you see notta,,, no confrontation actually happening just near each other jeess the shark was a lil guy a 10footer. Ok so heres the deal the sharks teeth are superior they are replaceable and more serrated more vicious action. The killer whale teeth remind me of a hippo lol!!!! But the orca like the dolphin is gonna use torpedo technology and smarts to lunge the shark in the side and kill it but if the great white snaps and clamps bye bye Orca pretty animal...

Next lets talk about lions vs tigers ive seen the vid already... Lions like Orcas are pack hunters.. equivalent to a bunch of drunk yoyo bling blings making tough with mouth not action on the street to an individual... next day both on the street individual style... the independant strength of a sole hunter is more greater than a wannabee power group almost always... the tiger is independant much more closer to the domestic house cat in a large size, so after the pysche mode tiger pounced the heck out of a lion the same size like doing circles around it and if you ever seen the video... there goes king of the jungle roger that?
ya, maybe a female lion. no way a male. tiger could not get a males neck. id have to see the video to believe it...but still doubt it
whales (mammals) did put the big "fish" into extinction when they entered the water. just smarter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store