Glass sheets ?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I was doing a little looking into buying sheets of glass 3/4 of an inch thick . Its sold $21 a square foot . I planned on building a tank 6' long x 2' deep and 2' tall .ive read on another diy site that 3/4 is strong enough for aquariums up to 2' tall . So my question is 3/4" glass strong enough for the size tank I planned and will it matter if it is tempered glass.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Nvm about tempered glass question ive found the answer

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Why not just look for a used 180g. Thats the standard size. They are always popping up for sale. You can find them under 400 bucks on craigslist. Unless you really want to build one yourself for the satisfaction

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Im tight on money cause of my new born son and I would like to build it for the satication

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
I believe tanks w those dimensions are usually built w 1/2" glass so 3/4" while safer is probably going to add quite a bit to your building cost.

dead wait

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2010
Sugarland Texas
I have a 190gal with 3/4 glass. It's like 30" tall. I've never had any problems with it. Just make sure you have a center brace. I would have to agree with jsodwi though. After you buy glass, have it cut, silicone, and the time it's gonna take you to do this, you would have come out cheaper just buying a used one.

Not saying that you do bad work or anything but, I know I sure would sleep better at night knowing that the tank is not going to leak or fall completely apart and soaking my house with a 180gal of water. Just my 2 cents.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I have a 190gal with 3/4 glass. It's like 30" tall. I've never had any problems with it. Just make sure you have a center brace. I would have to agree with jsodwi though. After you buy glass, have it cut, silicone, and the time it's gonna take you to do this, you would have come out cheaper just buying a used one.

Not saying that you do bad work or anything but, I know I sure would sleep better at night knowing that the tank is not going to leak or fall completely apart and soaking my house with a 180gal of water. Just my 2 cents.
it makes sense to buy a used tank but i've redone silicone before one my 20 high and it worked fine .i havent done all my homework yet on pricing everything out cuz i would have to build a stand also and buy the glass and rims and have it shipped to me so if its cheaper buying a used one i will just trying to find a way to buy or build a large tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store