Tank build Q?

demetri1k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
monroe
i am doing a tank build 5'x5'x3' i am going to for 3 sides and the bottom with concrete board and then put concrete down and i was looking at rust-oleum epoxy shield garage floor coating to seal it would it be safe for the fish?

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I'd use 100% silicone if anything. I saw someone recommend masonry sealer. One of those should be best.

May I ask what thickness you are using for your concrete? I have a tank with broken glass faces that I want to turn into a concrete aquarium but don't know how thick to make it so it won't break. Just 42" long and 20" high.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
That's a waterborne epoxy paint. For a tank of the type you're building you really need to use a 100% solids epoxy resin or a solvent based epoxy paint. The latter are getting harder to find due to VOC regulations. Of course there are non-epoxy options as well.

There are 100% solids epoxy resins for garage floors that are fish safe but with as often as forumlations change it can be hard to keep track of. What worked for somebody three years ago may be different today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store