My first DIY build

ManxJason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Isle of Man
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I've had a browse around - you guys know your stuff.

A quick introduction, my name is Jason (25yrs) and I live on the Isle of Man. I've been keeping fish now for a year, very successfully. I have a 230ltr high flow tank with small clown loach, a 70 litre for tetra and a male betta and finally a 50litre with guppies.

What I'd like to do is take the next step in the hobby, and build my own tank. The dimensions I'd like to end up with are 8ftx2ftx2ft. I'm now struggling to decide whether or not to go with 100% glass or, a plywood/glass tank. I originally researched building an Acrylic aquarium, but for a single 8ftx4ft cast acrylic sheet thick enough is £950 where I live. Having it imported from the US which looks much cheaper really isn't an option due to where I reside.

This build has to be 100% water tight, as I can't afford to have over 800litres of water on the floor.

What is the more secure build? Glass with braces along the top, or, a plywood tank?

I've starting to lean towards to the plywood option, despite the cost difference after spending money on quality marine epoxy and fibreglass cloth.

As Im new to this, your advice is very much valued. Any help with plans would also be outstanding.

thank you in advance.
Jason

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
From most of the posts I have read 3/4" (19 mm) Plywood is sufficient if you build your tank with a top that has at least a center brace. When I built my 310 I laminated two pieces of plywood together making it 1.5" (38mm) for extra strength. I'm very happy with my plywood tank and have had many compliments when family and friends stop by. That said I'm considering another build that will be 3 sides of glass and only back and bottom plywood. For that build I'd only be going with 3/4" plywood for both pieces. For the location of my first tank I'm glad I went with Plywood on 3 of 4 sides. I think you need to evaluate where your are putting this tank and if you want multiple viewing windows or if one is adequate. 3 sides of plywood will decrease your overall cost significantly.

ManxJason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Isle of Man
Thanks for your reply. This particular tank will be along a back wall, so no need to side viewing points. I'm quite happy to go with a single, front pane.

In terms of braces, I plan on having 2 braces fixed to the top of the frame. Or do you mean covering the front viewing page? Preferably have them on the top

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
On top is what I did as well. If you use thick enough glass there is no reason to have to brace the front outside of the edges of the glass of course. I'd advise at least 2" if using plywood. I went the route of gluing and screwing 2x2's all the way around the sides and bottoms and a 2x4 on top to help keep the tank from bowing. Then I added wood from front to back after the glass was in to completely eliminate the chance for bowing

ManxJason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
Isle of Man
I'll definitely be going a little OTT in terms of the glass thickness and structural strength of the overall tank.
I think I'll give it a go, making a small 2x1x1 ft just to get a little practice before jumping in to a large structure.

cheers

fl813lunatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2012
fl
please keep this updated :), wanting to take the next step and would love to see your project unroll as i am looking am doin the same thing after i move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store