update on plywood tank 220g

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
been working on it a couple months ive been doing a lot of research and a lot of thinking about it....and spending :p
im mostly writing this to get ideas and maybe it will help me think of new ideas

the tank set up goes as:

60x30x30 getting glass thursday for install. going 30 high cost me 400 bucks for the glass 3/4 in thick. also have fluval fx5 8 bulb 48" t5 ho fixture for the main thank. for fun installing a 55 gal fresh water refugium viewable via underneath the big tank will be heavily planted i have a mag5 return pump and 2 24" marineland double bright led's for it. want to get a couple 150 watt jaggers and put them somewhere in the refugium any ideas? i was thinking of elevating the return pump a little and putting them in there. powerhead to keep circulation? another idea i had was to cut the center bracing on the top piece to be installed after the glass install. was thinking of going with 2 smaller metal supports attached to the top piece (3inch wide 3/4 in plywood will be screwed in on top all the way around with the metal supports welded to bracket and bolted to the plywood) i also want to get a thinner and cheaper (thank god) glass for the canopy and place the light inside it the only problem would be accessing the tank easier ill have to support the canopy some how. maybe hinges in the back have it open like a car hood? lol that would be cool. another thing is where can i get bulkheads with thread long enough to go through the plywood. i have the LFS getting a 4 sided overflow box that ill install for the refugium. im hoping my festae will pair off in the next 4 months in which i will begin my breeding project. wish me luck! pls ideas. ill post pictures this weekend :)

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
got the glass today and im increadibly impressed with the edges wich are about face quality. thank you precision glass of houston. i have to say this piece of glass is BEAST and im going to need help installing it. i know for the most part you dont put spacers between the tank and glass during curing time but this glass wieghs about 100lbs, should i do it in this case? maybe an 1/8th inch wood wedge to keep it from flattening the silicon while it cures? got the brackets cut at work need to weld some pipe to them and drill holes for bolts. idea's pls!!! installing glass this weekend!!!!!

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
2" galvenized screws every 3 inches and wood glue in between the joints, then fiberglass cloth to reinforce the corners wich i ran into my first big problem with tonight. the liquid rubber didnt adhere to the fiberglass very well so when i was putting the glass in with my buddy i tore the liquid rubber right off the fiberglass. they made the glass 1/8th" to long and wide so there's glass sticking above the front panel frame and the torn liquid rubber. i think ill go back tomorrow sand that corner down and start painting it. after its painted im gonna fill any gap with liquid rubber then do more silicon on the inside corners where the wood meets the glass. had a horrible night ;(

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
Should i take the glass out and repaint the whole thing or attempt a patch job?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store