Lexan Plexi-Glass

FinHunter101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2012
Out Back In The Woods!
Need help ready to do the front view of my 300 Gallon Plywood Tank but wanted to use acrylic instead of glass but the local glass company said that Lexan Plexi-glass is the same as cell cast acrylic and he had it in 6mm he said was a 1000th thicker than a 1/4" will this work for my viewin panel or should i just buy glass instead i can get 1/2" for $180? any help would be appericated and if u know where i can order acrylic i would appreciate it very much.
Thanks Kevin

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Kevin, I would just go with glass. From what I've researched, Lexan will work but it will scratch easier than Plexi and I believe it can become discolored over time. I have some Lexan that I use in my sumps and it's good stuff but I don't have it on any viewing panels.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
Wouldnt a 1/4 inch be too thin for a 300? Id go with the 1/2 inch glass

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Contact Laird Plastics for cell cast acrylic. Best price I found anywhere in the continental US.

As far as thickness goes, whatever people in general tell you, go the next size up, especially with glass for the safety factor. Minimum thickness is NOT what you want to put.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
As far as thickness goes, whatever people in general tell you, go the next size up, especially with glass for the safety factor. Minimum thickness is NOT what you want to put.
I'd actually say just do your research and size your glass properly instead of going insane on the thickness. Typical aquarium calculators on the web are overly conservative. For example 1/2" is recommended for 24" tanks, but I've seen many commercial tanks built with 3/8" glass. I've even seen a 48" tall bowfront with 1/2" glass, but I'm sure it was tempered.

Anyway - Lexan is not the same as cell cast acrylic, and 1/4" is not thick enough for anything anywhere near 300gal. Barest bare minimum you will need 1/2" (12mm) Cell cast acrylic (or lexan) - Depending on tank height and design. Lexan is more expensive and scratches more easily than acrylic but is also considerably more impact resistant than acrylic. It's actually rather fun to put a 1/2" chunk of lexan in a bench vice and try to break it with a sledge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store