tempered glass question

JungleJim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
Caiifornia
I came across a piece of tempered glass that Im considering using for an plywood aquarium, the problem I think Im going to have with it is that the sheet is 72"x42"x1/2". Im not comfortable going above 30" in height with 1/2" glass, even if its tempered. Also, since its tempered, that pretty much rules out having it cut down to my 30" safe zone.
so what Im considering now is, somehow building the tank up to 30", then build the canopy 12" tall and incorporate the remaining glass into it. Basically the canopy top and side panels would lift up, but the front of the canopy would stay with the tank, but still made to look like the rest of the canopy when its closed. I know it would be in the way, but it seems like a way to make use of an expensive piece of glass that I normally couldnt use
I havent started anything yet, just scored the glass, so Im still open for suggestions. is there other thoughts I havent come up with on how to use this glass or should I just wait on it and get a more suitable piece?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have some sheets of tempered glass and have been thinking of the same sort of thing. I have toyed with the idea of extending the extra height below the bottom somehow. This would, I hope, reduce the actual depth of the water putting pressure on the glass. I thought to cover the lower extension so it cannot be seen. Not sure how to make the bottom of the tank attach to the glass in a way to hold tight and prevent the pressure from separating the seam.
You are correct in that tempered glass cannot be cut.

JungleJim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
Caiifornia
Hello; I have some sheets of tempered glass and have been thinking of the same sort of thing. I have toyed with the idea of extending the extra height below the bottom somehow. This would, I hope, reduce the actual depth of the water putting pressure on the glass. I thought to cover the lower extension so it cannot be seen. Not sure how to make the bottom of the tank attach to the glass in a way to hold tight and prevent the pressure from separating the seam.
You are correct in that tempered glass cannot be cut.
I didnt even think of the lower option, its even better, but flawed too, the 42" tall tank(the height of the glass) plus the canopy and lights, plus room to open the canopy, plus the sump, plus room to service the sump... I think thats like 47' so it wouldnt fit with an 8' ceiling. if my math is right, having the extra on top would give me a little over the tank and a little over the sump for service.

I dont think the pressure would be different from your way to mine, but what might be, is, with glass or acrylic tanks, I believe its preferred for all 4 of the sides to be on top of the bottom panel... maybe it doesnt matter? Either way Ill be watching :cheers:

My build is 48" with 1/2" tempered glass, so 30" will be no problem...
Do you think 30" is no problem due to the temper? or do you think an untempered 30" panel would be fine as well? Im just asking to get an idea of where youre safety comfort level is
I had seen your build before on youtube, a 950g built very solidly, nice job on it. I hope mine comes out as good:thumbsup:

Bong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Sweden
I didnt even think of the lower option, its even better, but flawed too, the 42" tall tank(the height of the glass) plus the canopy and lights, plus room to open the canopy, plus the sump, plus room to service the sump... I think thats like 47' so it wouldnt fit with an 8' ceiling. if my math is right, having the extra on top would give me a little over the tank and a little over the sump for service.

I dont think the pressure would be different from your way to mine, but what might be, is, with glass or acrylic tanks, I believe its preferred for all 4 of the sides to be on top of the bottom panel... maybe it doesnt matter? Either way Ill be watching :cheers:

Do you think 30" is no problem due to the temper? or do you think an untempered 30" panel would be fine as well? Im just asking to get an idea of where youre safety comfort level is
I had seen your build before on youtube, a 950g built very solidly, nice job on it. I hope mine comes out as good:thumbsup:
Yes tempered glass will never break, i think i would not sleep well with untempered glass :p But i know it will work because i have seen such glass tanks :)

coyote6183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
texas
hey bong your frame looks good dude. i've heard that if tempered glass breaks it shatters wich is supposidly more catostrophic rather than splitting. 220gal on the floor is 220gal no matter how it got there tho i suppose lol. i went 30 tall and 5/8 is min i got 3/4 as extra precaution. i feel safe and thats all that matters. how do you feel about 1/2 ?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hey bong your frame looks good dude. i've heard that if tempered glass breaks it shatters wich is supposidly more catostrophic rather than splitting. 220gal on the floor is 220gal no matter how it got there tho i suppose lol. i went 30 tall and 5/8 is min i got 3/4 as extra precaution. i feel safe and thats all that matters. how do you feel about 1/2 ?
Hello; I was around a pane of tempered glass when it shattered. It was a very loud and sudden splintering into thousands of pieces about pea sized or so. A craclking went on for several minutes as the stress left in the glass and the fracturing continued. The pieces were picked up by a shop vac. Any hand sized pieces left together would come apart into the small stuff when picked up.
I had a non tempered panel on a 125 gallon crack from top to bottom once. The fish and plants were saved as it took a while for the tank to leak out slowly. Tempered seems more resistant to initial breaking, but when it goes it is all at once.

Bong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Sweden
Yes tempered glass will shatter if it breaks, but if you protect edges then it will be fine. A local glass company took 1/4" tempered glass and put a car on it, it looked like a U but it did not break. So protect your edges and you be safe :)

Excuse my bad English :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store