Running Sump has cracked!! What to do?!??

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Hey all

SO I went to check on my setup and noticed water running all over the place as first I believed it was because the front set of tanks dose not sit flat the backs lower then the front sadly I don't think shims will do any good as theres only 4 legs for the whole setup and cant see little shims holding 240G nor being good structural wise.

anyways seems it was not these 2 tanks, so I checked the other 2 they are fine also they I figured maybe some pvc is leaking a little so went to check that, well what I found is a crack going right across the base of my sump no clue how this happened but its there and water is slowly pouring out!! I dont have anywhere else to put the fish right now so I cant shut it down. I am just wondering if I buy some 6-8mm glass the span of the base of the tank and silicone it on will this be a instant fix? (once it dries etc) or do I have to buy a brand new tank? or is there any other cheap effective way to fix it?

the water is not pouring it as such its coming out really really slow i have only lost about 1-2mm of water, any advice would be great the fish I have in the tanks cant live with one another and I only have 1 spare filter and 2 spare 6x2x2s unheated so best I have been able to do is lower the sump as low as the pump allows to stop the force pushing down and add the FX5 to the setup, really cant afford another tank so hoping theres a way to fix it without replacing the whole base glass.

Thanks all any help would be great.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Just use a rubbermaid storage bin as temporary replacement

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
If it is possible. Move the pump to the previous chamber and empty the one with the crack in. Cover it with heaps of silicone, let it cure then move your pump back.

Not sure if thats any help or if you even understand. But thats my 2c.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Makes sense but cant be done :( the pump is bigger then the divider before the crack it will hardly get water!!! I am going to try to empty it this weekend move all the fish into one big tank and pray my jack dosent eat everyone then silicone a glass sheet into the inside and outside of the tank add some wood under to help level it and silicone the crap out of it, every lfs i spoke too said silicone straight into the crack is useless as it will expanded else I cover it will glass etc! Thanks anyway though wish I had a 6ft long bucket then I could chuck everything in there and empty the tank luckily only lost 8L of water over 48 hours pretty good imho.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
Just went through this, i used a big tupperware tub temporarily and bought 2 fx5. 3rd sump to blow out, im done
Sent from my X500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
i dont know if it works with glass but you might want to get a glass drill bit and drill a hole on either end of the crack to prevent it from spreading. then i think the glass patch should work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store