DIY Glass vs Plywood

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
I recently got back into fish. I bought a couple of used tanks and have begun stocking them with African Cichlids. I started looking for a huge tank to put in my front room. I found some glass that came out of a teardown that is 35" high, 104" long, and .5" thick. It is all tempered and cannot be cut or drilled. I have three pieces of glass so I could have some sides cut, and then silicone it together for a big glass tank. I am concerned about weight, and I am considering selling two pieces of glass and using one to make a plywood tank. It would be lighter and should make a great tank. Does anyone have any feedback?

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
go for the plywood if you have the room you can make an awesome tank with that piece and it will be lighter and cheaper than the all glass version

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
All right its settled I am going to go for a plywood tank. I ordered the wood tonight. I am going to use 1/2 inch ply wood and glue it together to get to 1 inch so I can stagger the seams. I am going

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
I am going to fiberglass the seams and interior, and then two part epoxy tank. I am considering paints currently and would like feedback. I believe I will finish the exterior in a two part automotive paint. The African cichlids wlook great in this new tank. I am going to put up my other pieces of glass and hopefully first.d someone to build a tank alongside mine.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I am using Max ACR from polymerproducts on Ebay, it's specifically made for aquarium use, has VERY little odor and has been a dream to work with. It has about a 50 min working time which is great, worked wonderfully with the 6oz fiberglass cloth I got from US composites and can be colored with their pigments to w/e color you want. GL with your build!

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
I have the wooden portion of the tank together. I fiberglassed all of the seams on the outside of the tank withtraditional fiberglass. On the inside I used epoxy resin ad fiberglass to fill it all in. I ran short of epoxy and hope will get another quart to finishoff and re coat. I am planning on getting the glass siliconed in over the next couple of days. And then I believe I will texture the exterior of the tank, and then paint it with an automotive 2 stage paint. I am also considering a 3 stage Pearl. I will pick an earth tone type color and it should look great, and blend in my home. Pics coming soon.

xyz12373317

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
Idaho
Doe anyone want to help with filtration. I am considering drilling some holes in the bottom and putting in some bulkhead fittings. I would use them for water changes and to run though a canister filter to keep the water clear. I am unsure which bulkheads to use. What do you reccomend? I am looking for the right filtertration, and would love some tips.

rotccapt

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2009
oklahoma
filtration depends on what you plan on keeping. if you put bulkheads at the bottom you can only use a canister filter because if you use a sump you will loose all the water in the tank if your pump fails. so your bulkhead size will be determined by your canister filter. looking good though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store