400 to 523 gallon plywood help please

apche64d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
corpus christi texas
I am wanting to build a 84x48x30 tank from plywood and a 3/4 inch starfire glass front. I need some help with almost the entire thing as I have no idea what I am doing but I have patience and a skilled hand with the willingness to learn and enjoy. Any input or ideas from someone that has done something on this large of scale would be great. Thanks guys.

Josh

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Hi Josh, I myself just took the plunge to build a 523 gallon plywood tank and I learner a lot from Gator's build http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?181445-600-Gallon-Plywood-and-glass . The only thing I changed up is I am using Max ACR http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-RESIN-AQUARIUM-TANK-PONDS-CONSTRUCTION-1-5-GAL-/310075939459 as the sealant as Sweetwater epoxy is apparantly very noxious. I am also putting down 6" fiberglass cloth in the seams as from every build i've read the people who use it generally don't have leaks and the ones who don't sometimes do, though it's deffinately no guarantee :) Good luck with your build I'm sure plenty more people will chime in with great advice!

-Scott

apche64d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
corpus christi texas
Thanks for chiming in for sure, I keep looking at large tanks people have done and find myself wondering what the life expectancy is on a plywood tank? I like gators build as well, looks well thought out for sure.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
double fiberglass is the way to go, i did one(cost and not knowledge enough), and i would do double if i did it again.. You can read up on the 1200 gallon build thread of mine, and take a look.

apche64d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
corpus christi texas
ok, so I have settled on the demensions of 84x48x30 which will actually change due the demensions of the lumber I suppose. I was going to use a full sheet on the bottome which is 96" long and 48" wide as we all know so I figure a 2x4 being at least 3.5" wide once I mount the back wall and front glass panels will leave me at a actual inside dimension of 84x41x30. Correct me if I am wrong or on the wrong path here guys. I was going to double glass the entire tank and then use sweetwater in 2 colors so I can see where I miss areas but put about 7 or 8 coats on this thing. I don't quite trust the wood vs glass just yet and I deffinetly don't want any leaks. Does anyone have any idea of the life expectancy of a wood tank? I also wondered if my MP60 wave makers will cause me to get stress cracks in this thing? any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I plan to use 3/4" plywood as well and will need some help with a stand too, I would like to keep the bottom of the stand open so i can put some Dan Harthog water containers down there for my skimmers or for a refugium. Any thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store