How Many Channel Cats Per Gallon? READ PLEASE

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Okay im wondering how many channel catfish I can keep per gallon of water. Such as say in 500 gallons one channel cat or how many and up to how many I can keep in a 3500-4000 gallon pond?
So for example
500- 1 channel cat
1000- 2 channel cats
1500- 3/4 channel cats
2000- 4/5 channel cats
2500- 5/6 channel cats
3000- 6/7 channel cats
3500- 7/8 channel cats
4000- 8/9 channel cats
you dont have to use this format or anything just something easily understood.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
yeah im going to get the biggest pond pump i can afford and a waterfall system. I think im going to get one or maybe two in the 3600 and im going to have them with turtles,lmb, and maybe some large aggressive fish but lmb adjust to high water temps similarly to goldfish and the turtles will just be two eastern painted turtles. But I was thinking of maybe putting a large jag in there just to see how it works out. Im not sure yet. But i doubt the jag idea would work

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
I have three in a 13,000 gallon pond and I wouldnt add any more. All three of mine are over 24" and are extremely aggressive towards each other. They all have their own space and territory and defend it. Also they get even more aggressive at feeding time. Its not so much about your gallons of the pond, but how much surface area and how spread out the pond is. Like everyone else said, they are pigs and are very messy so make sure you have the filtration to handle them.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
yeah im going to get the biggest pond pump i can afford and a waterfall system. I think im going to get one or maybe two in the 3600 and im going to have them with turtles,lmb, and maybe some large aggressive fish but lmb adjust to high water temps similarly to goldfish and the turtles will just be two eastern painted turtles. But I was thinking of maybe putting a large jag in there just to see how it works out. Im not sure yet. But i doubt the jag idea would work
Skip the turtles as they will nip/kill your fishes and may rip the liner with their claws.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store