Rena XP3 impeller mod

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I found another thread on here that claimed you can use a rio 2100 impeller in an xp3 to increase the flow. Well I'm due for an impeller 4 years in my aquarium with PFS substrate and the impeller is making a little bit of sand now. I want to replace it as preventative maintenance.

Well the rio 2100 impeller is 15 bucks shipped. The Rena is 40 shipped. Has anyone done this?

I also found a new and old model 2100 impeller which do I need? If I dont get a response I guess I could order both it would still be 10 less than ordering the rena impeller.

On another note if there is a better impeller for the AC110 let me know because I get about 6 months out of them then they rattle like crazy and no amount of cleaning will stop it.

JesseJamez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2011
California
I have a single rena xp4 running in my 160 gallon tank... it would be cool if I could increase the flow with an impeller modification.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with aquariums, but increasing the flow in my filter sounds useful. Let me know if you find anything out that can help me. :) I'll be watching this thread.

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I will be ordering an impeller friday. Just hoping for some input. Supposedly the xp4 impeller will fit and boost the xp3 but again that defeats the cost savings.

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
From the other thread the rio 2100 impeller when tested in a rio xp4 bumped the flow rate from 172 gph with media to 196 gph with media. Not a huge gain, but again Im due for an impeller and these cost half as much, why not get a little boost? Curious how itll do on my xp3.

Im getting ready to load the first tray with fluval prefilter or AC sponges, and load the second and third tray with ceramic rings, most likely the odyssea ones for 5 bucks a litre.

Rynofasho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
United States
Why do your 110s keep crapping out? Mines been running fine with sand for awhile now. You just have messy fish that kick up a lot of sand? Maybe you're kicking up sand during vacuumings or when refilling the tank after a water change? I don't know, maybe PFS is lighter than the play sand I use and it just tends to suck it up. . .

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Why do your 110s keep crapping out? Mines been running fine with sand for awhile now. You just have messy fish that kick up a lot of sand? Maybe you're kicking up sand during vacuumings or when refilling the tank after a water change? I don't know, maybe PFS is lighter than the play sand I use and it just tends to suck it up. . .
Ive had my ac110 for almost 9 years w/ same impeller, no sand just gravel tho! Things a tank.

You can sell ur xp4 on ebay for 130$ and then buy a fx5 for 239$, thats what i did, only 109$ outta pocket and imo 2x better.

Fx5+ac110 combo is sweeeet!

#1 S. Vettel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store