150g trim replacement

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I am in the process of replacing the trim on my 150g.
The question i have is, Is there a easier way to take off the existing trim? I been using razors and cutting along the back side and the front side of the trim and the thing just won't budge! I even tried to pulling up on the cracked center brace and there is no lift to it... So i'm assuming it is siliconed on the underside of the trim. I don't mind putting a little more force on it if needed... But, i don't want to do any more damage than i have to.
Any suggestions or ideas to make this project a little smoother???

Thanks for looking

Sent from my SGH-T959V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Once you get the corners off, it gets easier. Try using a hand saw and cut it without hitting the glass.

Arthur

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
michigan
I use a puddy knife and push it between the tank glass and the plastic trim, it's time consuming, but it works. When you have all trim separated from the sides you only have what's left on the top of the glass connecting the trim. At this point you can just wiggle it back and forth until it pops off. If you're replacing broken trim it might help to cut the corners of the trim to separate the front, back and side pieces into individual pieces so that you can wiggle them back and forth easier to pop the trim off.

Hopefully that makes sense

Also, if it's already broke, you can just cut it up into smaller pieces with a razor blade and just work on smaller pieces. Just try not to cut a finger off in the process.

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
The trim is cracked in 3 spots so not a problem with working in sections. I will give the putty knife a try. I thought this baby was gonna come off a lot easier lol.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dullamite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2010
Portland, OR
I've been thinking about replacing the trim on a tank I just picked up, but I haven't been able to find replacement trim. Where are you getting yours from?

Sent from my ADR6400L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I've been thinking about replacing the trim on a tank I just picked up, but I haven't been able to find replacement trim. Where are you getting yours from?

Sent from my ADR6400L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I went through my LFS and it was $49 :D

I'm not gonna lie but this trim is a pain in the arse to get off...

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
I had to do one on a 150 a while back definately a pain. The one i had to take off was dryrotten too so it came off in little pieces. I swore i would never buy a used tank again that needed trim. They key is to go slow and you should be able to get off a large.section at once.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fattubwhale

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
I'd try to heat it up with your wife's blow drier lol

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Gonna have to try it out with a heat gun!

I had to do one on a 150 a while back definately a pain. The one i had to take off was dryrotten too so it came off in little pieces. I swore i would never buy a used tank again that needed trim. They key is to go slow and you should be able to get off a large.section at once.

I thought it would come off a lot easier with the cracks in it but this baby does not want to budge!

1bigdovii

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
Virginia
It may be easier to cut the trim at the top down the middle close to center of glass as possible so you can seperate it there and work with one half at a time. That is also where most of the silicone is at. Hope you get it figured out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store