DIY 450G Glass Tank

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Hi all,

I am planning on building the 450G all glass build. the footprint would be 10'X33"X30"... currently working on the drawings for the stand, which a hired carpenter would be doing.

so my first hurdle is to get the glass ordered... would 19MM hold good for that size? considering it will have drilled holes for the overflow and the inflow...

Thanks appreciate any help, advice and comments

Najib

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
I would make the sides at least 3/4 inch. Good luck on your build looking forward to seeing progress

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
I would make the sides at least 3/4 inch. Good luck on your build looking forward to seeing progress
Thanks buddy... sry for the late reply... just tad busy with ma engagement :)... so ye 3/4in is 19mm ye? i plan on making the whole tank with 3/4in... well with 8' im sure it is enuf but with ma footprint still gotto get sme assurance... what u say?

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
Thanks buddy... sry for the late reply... just tad busy with ma engagement :)... so ye 3/4in is 19mm ye? i plan on making the whole tank with 3/4in... well with 8' im sure it is enuf but with ma footprint still gotto get sme assurance... what u say?
Fail on my part not checking conversions

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
Also ive seen tanks around that size with thicker bottom panels. Maybe 1 inch.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Also ive seen tanks around that size with thicker bottom panels. Maybe 1 inch.
thats what i was thinking.... get the bottom panel 1" cause they will be drilled as well.... i went through the stickies but i found the 375G all glass build and the way that was built is diff than the way im gonna be doin... so i am making sure to get my fact rite...

Ive built 100G grow out and currently just finished water testing my 90G SA cichlid tank... will post up the thread when i get time... in there i used the overflow box as well... which was 5mm thicknes... i am not sure that i can replicate the same design on the 450G.. with just two overflow boxes... here is a pic of it...IMG-20120412-00563.jpg

IMG-20120412-00563.jpg

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
Thats a nice looking tank. I plan to start maybe an 8x3x30 or 8x4x2 acrylic build soon

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Thats a nice looking tank. I plan to start maybe an 8x3x30 or 8x4x2 acrylic build soon
Thanks bud.... Looking fwd for ur build of acrylic if at all u do it.... Acrylic is just too dam expensive here...

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
It has been quite sometime since this tank was due. Finally I have come around to get started with the work. Just have some changes in the footprint, it is now 10'X3'X2' with the same volume of 450G with a 110G Sump.

Just got the stand ordered this morning and is made at site, thus can get pics of progress as on when it starts cause the carpenters are working on the door for fish room as of now. here is a pic of the room.... The whole room is getting a make over and also combining my gym together...
photo (1).JPG
The top left tank is gonna be the sump. The wall in front is where the 450G gonna be installed.

Now for the dilemmas i have....

- Mainly my concern is with the overflow..... I can get it drilled but like to get some advice on should i go in for a overflow box or a std bottom drilled overflow box on either sides of the tank or a drilled back panel with a overflow box of sorts?
- The GPH pump I have to use?
- Bracing of the tank -- is a bottom bracing necessary or just top bracing is adequate if I use 1" bottom glass and 3/4" on all sides panel?

Any inputs and ideas are most welcome. The stocks are going to be my Bichirs, IT Dats, Fire eel and Natives such as B. canerensis as dithers.....

Cheers,

Najib

photo (1).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store