Urgent questions.

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
My friend loaded his large snapping turtle last year and I had a backyard pond built before that. But my dad now says the pond has to go for various reasons. So my question is. The turtle is 1ft long. and I wanna build a really sturdy tank but I wanna make it so it doesn't empy my whole wallet. :x I was thinking of plywood but it's too complicated for me. I don't really get it. I just want something large sturdy and atleast a front viewing panel. I was thinking what other materials besides the obvious glass/acrylic, wood can you use? Like what other materials can it be used? I think the tank should ATLEAST be 2-3ft wide and 8ft long x 3ft tall. I want the glass thick enough that even this bulldozer won't break it at all. It has to be super sturdy. I wish it could be dissasembled too but that's fine if it can't.

I have 4months to work on this and I need suggestions asap. :X please

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
they sell fiber glass tubs with viewing panels, maybe buy one.

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
where?

----
Nvm i looked at it. I mean like the idea somewhat but i'd rather have a front view.

---
Plus. Look at the cost of even a simple one. that's way more than BUILDING a tank made of glass? lol. Which beats the point entirely.

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
Anyone know how much it could cost to build a plywood tank the size of 3ft widex 7ft longx 2ft tall? I read what they actually n eed is just that.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I built my tank which is roughly the same dimensions for about 1200 CDN. That includes drywall and other materials that I don't think you'll be using. I'd say if you could budget for around the $750 - 1000 you'll be fine

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
I could. It'll take me a while. But I could. Also was wondering if I could just take say a very large and old fridge, take the bad parts out, keep the shell. Put a viewing window on the front. Epoxey the living crud out of it and then put a bit of fiberglass around it to add additional support? Will this work? I would save money on most of it but would be able to reinforce it more thoroughly. My friend even suggested using old car parts. Cleaning them up. Removing any oils or etc. Then epoxying it. Then washing it throughly. Then testing it out, then putting an actual live fish in there or an animal sensitive to water pollution and have that test it for safety?

BuildingBlocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
Nj, flanders
Also. I want to spend more on the filtration system;that's why I'm budgetting for now- because when I move out-- that tank i'll give it to a friend. It's why I don't want to invest in a 5thousand dollar system. all I'm keeping is the filters and such. As I'm pretty sure all of you may know. You do realize bringing a large tank with me over a few states will be a hassle and may end up broken? Our move may be this year or the next. So yeah. I 'd rather invest then; and only get the essentials for now. My friend is ironically moving near me in a couple of years anyways so the large tank he'd bring it cause he has trucker friends. And where we're moving we're planning ahead so the tank could be made months prior the move and I can set him up asap when I get to the house. :) So the filtration I kinda need to find the best filtration that I can. All I care is for it to remove a large amount of waste made by the snapper. Right now my little buddy just ate a fish I caught him today. It was a creek chub. Thing took 2bites and then ate it. The chub has almost 11inches. I'm feeding him his weekly feed now since he's an adult they are best fed like that. Plus the water is going to get murky now and I now need to do a heavy water cleaning and remove any scraps he left. Also. Anyone know any healthy fish that are high sources of vitamins b, a, and possibly calcium? I need the fish to be healthy to feed as part of the staple. Outside I just threw whatever I caught and purposely let the fish breed in an area then let the adults go into the snapper's area. I became really attached to him a while back and still am. But my dad has to know that I'm serious about it. I'm of age but I have a few problems(let's leave it at that); and the only way he'd let me keep something like that is if he realizes i'm completely serious. I already found out what they need. I know alot about turtles. But snappers always been a mystery to me. He/she likes to watch people. I haven't bothered to sex it yet because I want to do that when I take him for a health check up in a few months. I plan on boiling the fish I give him btw. to kill bacteria and possible parasites. Also. I plan on harvesting crawdads and boiling them/ then freezing them. I'd make him special food. But my special blender broke so I need to get a new one from the junkyard(people throw stuff that most of the times can be used still for their fancier such) and being that I'm extremely eco-friendly I let nothing go to waste. If a fish dies I mostlikely would feed him those too.

anywho going back to the tanks as well. what lightings are good to subject water splashes/ and rough handling?I heard LED lighting would be good.

Sorry if my writting isn't good at the moment. I have a long day ahead of working with my animals so I wanted to make this as quick as possible. I need to clean all the aquariums(water changes, scrubbing, etc). Clean the filters slightly(one cartridge in each filter so the bio doesn't die. I also need to do their bi-weekly feedings. I need to clean my other turtles cages, and my toads tanks. XD And yes I do have permits for them and proof of where I got them. I got my diamondback from a forum in turtletimes. I got my toads from a friend who got it at the herp convention in pa. lol.

jandj88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
North Dakota
A fiberglass stock tank. Cut the front out and add your glass plexi glass window to it. They have a drain for a possible filter hook up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store